ugh.. hooked up battery backwards :(

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by rvanderwerf, Aug 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. rvanderwerf

rvanderwerf Member

Jul 20, 2017
    2002 I just removed the factory battery and forgot which black/white went to what and got it backwards (black goes to red not black? ugh). Nothing was happening until I plugged in the camper power, and I heard a beep then everything died. Even 110v nothing working :( I am hoping there are some fuses I can pull and not something more serious :( There is a very old looking fuse one of the the 2 black wires going to the battery, (its sealed metal and kinda rusty) I assume that would be blown as well but don't see how that would stop 110v plugin power from working?

Looking at the manual there are some fuses in the power converter, I'm going to check those first.

2. NMroamer

NMroamer Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    I would start with the metal and kind of rusty fuse first. proceed carefully from there to see what else maybe blown. Hope nothing else. the rusty fuse might have been to slow to blow and damaged something else.

3. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    Is the sealed rusty looking thing an auto resetting circuit breaker? If so, that might be for a power winch, if you have one.
    Picture is not the greatest but the circuit breaker is noted attached to the battery. On mine it is actually silver and the end that attaches to the battery does get rusty/corroded and needs cleaning once a year, or it did till I dumped the power winch:eek:.
    [​IMG]

Check the converter fuses for one labeled reverse connection polarity fuse. In mine it is the lower 40A fuse as noted in the sticker
    [​IMG]

The reverse polarity fuse might shut down the converter totally. I am not sure, never tried it to find out.

4. rvanderwerf

rvanderwerf Member

Jul 20, 2017
    This was the only thing hooked inline off the black cable. The post broke off trying to unscrew it even with pb blaster

Attached Files:

5. f5moab

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    Looks like an inline circuit breaker. Any decent auto parts store should have them. About 10 bucks???

6. rvanderwerf

rvanderwerf Member

Jul 20, 2017
    so.... replaced the inline breaker, and raised the camper and got to the power converter but no go. Sure enough the 30amp fuse (it has a centurion cs1200) was blown. I replaced it and I have ac power and my ac unit and power outlets are working again. However I have no dc voltage. I tested from my new inline breaker going to the lines that go to the power converter and 12v is there also I noticed it's internal fan is worn out and doesn't spin but just twitches a little bit. So I think I fried the DC portion of the converter :( So I can get a cs1200 or WF-8735-P for about 120$ but I read very bad reviews for both. I checked the rest of the 15a fuses, they all test good and I did a swap test on each with a new fuse and still no interior lights or the light outside the door (I need to pack up the camper to hook it to my TV to see if the tail lights and such still work). We're going on our maiden voyage tomorrow (during daytime anyways) where we have power hookup so we're good, just need to bring flashlights and plugin lamp.

so... I'll have to replace the converter, it looks old as dirt and the fan is worn out anyways, and it looks like a PITA to replace the fan) - does anyone have better recommendations of something that will fit in about the same size/area that is better than what I had? (maybe with a inverter to AC built in?) I figure this will be a pita to rewire might as well put something better in!

so after searching here it seems the recommended replacement is the
    WFCO WF8725P
    Thanks for the help everyone this site is great!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  7. f5moab

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    I would recommend the WF8735P since that is what I have on my Flagstaff, it is five years old and still going strong. So I would assume the 8725 would be fine.

8. Fless

Fless Active Member

Before you buy a new converter, pull yours out and see if there is a fuse on the circuit board, or somewhere else internally.

9. rvanderwerf

rvanderwerf Member

Jul 20, 2017
    heh its toast now for sure. Took it camping this weekend, it's 20a breaker kept tripping every 2-3 hours with the ac on. In the morning before we were going to pack up it blew big time with smoke and everything coming out of it! It also kept popping the 30a fuse of the battery was connected at all (I made sure I had the polarity right this time!) and I had to leave it disconnected. Also the GFCI kept tripping inside below the bed so I couldn't keep much plugged in for long like a simple cell phone charger. New WF8725P is on its way!