Ugh, people-- A rant

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by MsMac, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

People have been doing this for years now. There will always be some who don't get the memo on proper wild animal etiquette.

Then adding in that this etiquette changes as we learn more about animals and their behaviors, there's another group who refuses to believe new information and insists on following old outdated ideas.

The best is to be vocal about proper behavior and not to make the perpetrators into celebrities.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  2. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

You need to visit Pomona State Park. We've been camping there for several years now and have not seen one raccoon, ever. It's pretty remarkable because it's very rural. There's nothing around but farmland. The closest town is seven miles away.

I'm going to talk with one of the rangers about this sometime, but my only thought is that the coyotes (you can hear them howling every night) take care of the raccoons. [:)C]

3. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

Completely agree.

For those not willing to take responsibility for themselves, fines. Money is the common understanding. And serious fines $5k or $10k. Can't pay your fine or too stupid not to repeat an offense and rack up fines, welcome to community service.

This works only if Judges are not allowed to reduce or eliminate a fine. Structure would be set up similar to tax penalties. And community service, work programs could be expanded. Infrastructure repair, learn a trade as you repay.

Take the money you are pumping into prison systems and pump it into financial penalty - work programs.

Those with any common sense will learn after the first $10k fine. Those slow on the draw may eventually learn not to do what's costing them. Those that never get it, are redirected into work programs to give back to the community they take from.

Rant end :)

HappyTraveler and jnc like this.
  4. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

You’ll all be happy to hear that they never put down bison after some moron gets mauled. It happens 4-5 times every summer. It happened so often few years ago our local paper kept a tally on the front page. Bison 3 - Tourists 0

5. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

"A fed bear is a dead bear."

6. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

The raccoons and armadillos at Hillsborough River State Park have no fear of humans and you might step on a squirrel if you aren't careful.

7. Steve Farley

Steve Farley New Member

Add to this rant the people who deface rock Petroglyphs. I just got back from Chaco Canyon and near the campground are two signs telling the story of petroglyphs being defaced. They caught the two juveniles in one instance but not the other. Fined the family $7000.00 for the cost to attempt to clean the mess. And last year the owner of Anderson Hitches was caught defacing an arch near Moab and his family was right there with him. What a bad example for his kids, really lousy judgement on his part. This is the reason I will not buy from Anderson Hitches. If I ever see someone defacing something I will say something to them, photograph it and them and report it to authorities.

8. Toedtoes

Stacking rocks has become a big issue in places.

9. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

Why? It seems like a harmless activity to keep the kids busy for a while.

10. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Stacking rocks? Or cairns?

11. Toedtoes

There are several reasons.

First, it is distractive to the natural beauty of the landscape.

Second, it can adversely affect the ecology - animals depend on those rocks for shelter, etc. Moving them can affect the water flow of rain, creeks, etc.

Third, in some places, cairns are used to identify trails, etc. If folks just willy nilly stack rocks, they can reduce the effectiveness of those purposely built cairns.

This photo shows how a seemingly harmless activity can destroy the natural beauty.
    [​IMG]

12. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Gee, some people seem to go camping, then they've got two much free time?

13. Toedtoes

It's funny that some people claim stacking rocks is a form of meditation. But looking at that photo, it really destroys the meditational effects of being out in the wilderness.

I suspect it is really a form of "I was here!"

14. Steve Farley

Steve Farley New Member

It's not kids who are doing this in the campground but adults on a trail.

HappyTraveler and kitphantom like this.
  15. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

That is people on drugs, mushrooms, acid or mescaline, and it will only take another group also on drugs to knock down all the piles.

Rik Peery likes this.
  16. Toedtoes

No it's not people on drugs. It's everyone doing this. They hike out and want a bit of I was here and stack the rocks. Then the next person comes along, sees it, and does the same thing. And on and on.

I see it at beaches and such all the time.

17. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I meant just in the case of the picture. That must of taken a lot of time and energy. I remember seeing rock piles and weird things around the time the Blair witch movie came out years ago.

18. Toedtoes

I've seen that much in other places too. Figure a campground with 50 sites. Half of those sites have one or two people in it per weekend that stack rocks. In one month, that's over a 100 stacks of rocks.

19. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Member

Feeding wild life is a real cultural problem. Around here, mothers will take their toddlers and children to the neighborhood park to "feed the ducks" leftover bread. So the kids grow up thinking this is harmless. Years ago there was a push around here to educate people on not feeding the ducks. This was one of many articles our local paper ran to try and get the word out against feeding ducks: https://buffalonews.com/1992/03/21/be-kind-to-wild-ducks-by-not-feeding-them/
    I also remember some sort of sickness going around and a bunch of water fowl either dying or having to be put down or both b/c of being feed.

We even have one woman that regularly makes the news b/c she simply refuses to quit feeding the deer at her nearby park. Personally, I think hitting these idiots in the pocketbook may "help" them to learn. I also think doing community service may also educate them on why feeding wildlife is harmful. At the very least, they could be doing some good, and maybe learning appropriate ways to interact with nature.

20. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

At Riverbanks Zoo, in Columbia, you can buy food to feed some animals. Again sending the wrong message to kids about feeding wildlife. You would think they would know better.