Urgent. Battery fuse blew...replaced but doesn't need work :-( stuck camping with no power

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by aj_sheridan, Jul 16, 2017.

1. aj_sheridan

aj_sheridan New Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Hi everyone! I just bought a new 12 volt deep cycle battery. Arrived at the site at dark, nothing works. I have two small kids and we were depending on the lights working :-(. Saw there was a blown 20amp fuse on the inside panel. I replaced it, but to no avail. The 30amp fuse at the battery seems fine. Any ideas? I'm at a site with no access to power. The battery is at full power...12.79.

2. Fless

Fless Active Member

Is the battery polarity correct? Sounds like the protection fuse blew on the converter.

You could pull the 30a fuse at the battery and try another fuse in the converter.

3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Sorry for the basic question but we need to break this down... has it ever worked?

4. aj_sheridan

aj_sheridan New Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Thanks! The polarity is correct. It's never worked with the new battery. I bought the new battery 2 days ago, trickle charged it and put it in today before the trek (its full). Stupid me, I should have tested it before leaving. I don't have a spare 30amp fuse, I'll head to town and buy one tomorrow but the one that's in looks perfect to me.

5. aj_sheridan

aj_sheridan New Member

Jun 9, 2010
    I've since replaced Both 30amp fuses...still no luck :-(

6. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2011
    Macomb County Michigan
    Does your converter have a switch on it?

7. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    a common issue when changing batts is blowing the reverse protection fuse, know which one that is can be helpful.
    IIRC, bottom fuse on wfco and far right on some others.

There is always the kill/safety 'switch' that is often located under a flip over sink.

Having your PU make/model in your signature could be helpful. Voltmeter is a useful tool.

Fless likes this.
  8. aj_sheridan

aj_sheridan New Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Update: ok, so I realized that the water pump works. So, it's getting power from the battery but the lights, LP detector, and fan are not. I've switched all the fuses but to no avail. I don't think my converter has a switch on it. I've attached a photo.

Attached Files:

9. aj_sheridan

aj_sheridan New Member

Jun 9, 2010
    I have a palomino pony p-280. Yes, it has a kill switch under the sink. So when the sink is in place it pushed the switch which normally kicks in the power.

10. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    push down on the sink to see if the lights come on!

Check the wires running up to the roof, there ought to be a connector that can pull apart, its there so the 'tent' can be added/replaced, the wires generally run in a pocket or sleeve in the tent.

11. tfischer

The wildcard here is the LP detector. On my Palomino that's under the dinette and connected directly to the converter with its own fuse. The other elements you mentioned (lights, fan) point to either the kill switch or wiring, but the LP detector not so much, unless yours is wired differently.

12. aj_sheridan

aj_sheridan New Member

Jun 9, 2010
    I've tried everything suggested. I'm just gonna have to live without lights/fan for the week and take it in when I get back to civilization. Thanks so much for the advice all!!

13. tfischer

Every camper should have a digital multimeter in their popup drawer. Harbor Freight has a little one that is often free with coupon and any other purchase. Makes diagnosing these things a LOT easier.

14. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Jan 28, 2015
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Unfortunately not everyone knows about electricity and how to measure it.
    My late father in law would not touch anything to do with it.(Except flick the switch of course)

15. tfischer

With the possible exception of dropping a wrench across your main battery, you're not going to hurt yourself working with PUP electrics

16. aj_sheridan

aj_sheridan New Member

Jun 9, 2010
    I have a multi-meter with me. Not sure how to use it other than check the battery level though.

17. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    since the water pump works I'd find a good ground or the white wire on the back of the power center's 12v wires.
    vole meter set to DC volts 0-20v scale.
    probe the black probe to ground/white wire and the red pos probe to the fuses to determine if you have 12v power, which you do on at least one fuse, the one for the water pump. If that revels 12v, probe the others, they should also have 12v on each side of the fuse.

If ya find a plug go up to the ceiling, probe it to see if 12v is there.

18. aj_sheridan

aj_sheridan New Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Thanks Rabird!I know if I don't know the answer to this I probably shouldn't try...but I can't find a ground near the 12v panel. Can I just poke the multi meter probes directly into the white negative wire?

19. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    yes.

see page 4 http://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/8712-25-Operators-Manual.pdf
    that's for testing if it works via utility power, unplugged from utility power ya should get batt voltage, of course the batt needs to be connected!!!

The easiest test is to probe the batt and record voltage, then plug the PU into power and remeasure, the voltage should be higher indicating the converter is working/charging the batt.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017 at 11:25 AM