USB charging port added

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by CampingFamily1, May 15, 2019.

1. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Member

Added a USB charging port below my electrical outlet. Got it on Amazon.com

1. Magnadyne Black Wall Mount 2 USB Charging Ports and 12V Power Outlet
    2. Leviton 80401-NE 1-Gang Decora/GFCI Device Wallplate, Standard Size, Thermoplastic Nylon, Device Mount, Black
    3. MonkeyJack Cigarette Lighter Universal Waterproof Plug AP208 Dust Cover Cap Socket Car
    4. LIHAN Dual USB Car Charger,LED Display Voltage
    5. Electrical outlet box from Home Depot (1-Gang Old Work PVC Electrical Box with Clamp)

Measured carefully, sawed a hole in the exact spot needed to line up with the electrical outlet above, and sawed a hole with my Dremel Multimax tool. I spliced the wires into the wires that feed the water pump. The water pump voltage is shut off when the galley is put down, so I know I won't have any electricity flowing to the outlet when popped down.

I had to add a layer of electrical tape around the Plug/Dust Cover over the cigarette lighter to make it fit snugly. I also bought a Plug in USB adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket that reads out the voltage of my battery, and provides 2 more USB charging outlets. Being able to see the voltage of my batteries is very handy. I use the simple black Plug/Cap when popped down and travelling because it's more durable if it gets kicked while packing up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    Natureangel and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh Member

Looks good!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

It does look good!

4. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Member

Thanks! We love it to charge phones, keep the Bose speaker charged, and the cigarrette lighter outlet powers the simple 8" DVD player on rainy days