Used 2-way or 3-way fridges - where to buy, and reasonable price ranges?

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by Rich Knack, May 26, 2018.

1. Rich Knack

Rich Knack Member

May 25, 2018
    Charlevoix, Michigan
    The 1978 Rockwood RW-0806 I just bought had its refrigerator replaced with one of those cube-shaped AC only "dorm room" type refrigerators by the previous owners. I want to replace it with an AC/propane or AC/DC/propane refrigerator of roughly the same size, but I can't justify paying $1,000 or more for a new one (I only paid $500 for the camper!). Can anyone tell me where I might find a used RV fridge that would fit my needs, and what I might expect to pay for one?

2. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    There are RV salvage places around the country. You could check to see if there are any nearby. Other than that, you’ll probably just need to keep an eye on Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, etc for one to pop up. I just sold a ‘95 vintage Dometic 2-way (DC/LP) for $75 and had a few people interested in it. The buyer didn’t even try to talk me down, and others in line were willing to pay it too, so it must have been a reasonable price.

Another more unconventional option may be to keep an eye out for a whole junker pup with a fridge. You might be able to snag one for a couple hundred bucks, salvage what you can, then sell the frame for a utility trailer. That’s actually where the 3-way I have in my pup now came from.

3. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I have 1 you can have but I doubt it is worth paying shipping costs.

Rich Knack likes this.
  4. Rich Knack

Rich Knack Member

May 25, 2018
    Charlevoix, Michigan
    JNC, can you email pics to me? And if it works, is the right size, and shipping is less than a new unit, I'd be more than willing to pay shipping...

Update: Just calculated UPS ground costs for a 27" x 27" x 27", 100 pound package (doubt it weighs that much, though), and it came out to just over $200. Definitely worth it to me.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
  5. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Ok I'll take a few tomorrow.

6. Rich Knack

Rich Knack Member

May 25, 2018
    Charlevoix, Michigan
    Thanks! :)

7. Rich Knack

Rich Knack Member

May 25, 2018
    Charlevoix, Michigan
    If you want to, you can email them directly to me. How do you PM on this forum...?

8. Rich Knack

Rich Knack Member

May 25, 2018
    Charlevoix, Michigan
    Just found a used Norcold 323 for $331, shipping included...

9. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    Hopefully with some kind of warranty that it works on all three power sources.

10. Rich Knack

Rich Knack Member

May 25, 2018
    Charlevoix, Michigan
    Got it two days ago. Plugged it into the wall outlet in our garage last night, and it was down to 36 degrees Fahrenheit (using a refrigerator thermometer) when I got home from work at 5:30 this evening. So it definitely works on AC! :)