using a regular fridege

Discussion in 'Refrigerators and Coolers' started by rognkat, Aug 9, 2018.

1. rognkat

rognkat Member

Feb 22, 2015
    Jasper TN
    Who has used a regular compressor cooling fridge in their pup? I want to remove the current 3 way and put a porti potti in its place and buy a small, 1.7 cu from walmart, to replace the 3 way. I'm concerned with it riding in the pup, i.e. bouncing,jarring etc. because the only place I could carry it is on the floor. Anyone have any experience with these fridges?

2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    It could work... why pick 1.7 cu? why not 3.0 cu? the one with freezer. I put mine in Explorer while traveling then at campsite, I carry it to inside popup. it is not heavy.

Raycfe likes this.
  3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I agree .... step up to a bigger refrigerator. When camping it doesn't have to be in the camper.

4. rognkat

rognkat Member

Feb 22, 2015
    Jasper TN
    Thanks. As for the larger size, I guess I could make the dogs move over in the rear seat...lol. I have a tonneau cover on the Ram so I can't stand it up in the bed. Wish I could lay it down without hurting it.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    In my old Jayco I used my small old dorm fridge I used back when I was in college like 20 years ago. Darn thing still works too. Anyway we kept it stored in the trailer upright and never had a problem. We personally put it on the counter when we set up camp and moved it to the floor when packing down.

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I carried a dorm size and sit it on a table under the awning, worked great, I carried it in the back of the Pick up most times and on the floor of the PUP at other times, just have to remember to keep it upright while toting it.

7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Save up your money and splurge on a 12v compressor unit like an Engel or ARB. Pricey but well worth it. On my wish list.

8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    I put a dorm fridge where the ice box was. We only use the porta potty at night so I keep it outside the camper during the day and put it where the dinette table goes at night for the wife and daughter.

9. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    I built my 1.7 cu ft into the cabinet where I pulled the ice box out of, as I did not have a true refrigerator in there prior. It fits in snug enough that it doesn't move around in transit, unless I happen to hit something pretty well and the trailer bounces a lot. But It so far has taken everything and starts right up when plugged in. I figured for the cost, even if I ended up having to replace it at some point, it's not that large of a bill to swallow.

If you just need to stow it inside the trailer for travel purposes, I would guess that as long as you tied it down or wedged it in place somewhere to limit movement, you should be alright.

10. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Make a hole on tonneau cover to allow 3.0 fridge stand up. [:D][Guitar]:rolleyes::D

11. rognkat

rognkat Member

Feb 22, 2015
    Jasper TN
    Thanks everyone. I was mainly just concerned if it would damage the compressor with the bouncing or vibrations of riding in the pup. Halford, wifey said I can't cut a hole in the cover SHE bought for the truck. If we would get the bigger size, it would ride in the back seat with the "kids".

Halford likes this.
  12. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    oops, answered wrong question, need to stop posting while robots are killing each other.

13. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I just googled it, I know that the oils need to get back into the compresser on the fridge that's why they say it's a no no to tilt it. But it's stated that you if it's on its side for 3 hours , it needs to be upright for 3 hours before plugging it in. So maybe on short trips that's an option?