Using Vent Van For Closing Up

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by FlyboyTR, Oct 28, 2018.

1. FlyboyTR

FlyboyTR New Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Mobile, AL
    We currently have a Palomino Banshee SV-1 Popup, offroad model. Over the years we have owned 5 different PUPs. It has been about 15 years since we've owned one and we purchased the Banshee for a 29 day trip we completed two weeks ago. It performed excellent. BUT...I was painfully reminded what I didn't like about PUPs....set up and close up. Add in some rain while trying to do this and it quickly sucks the joy out of owning a PUP.

Over the years I have never considered a hybrid...until we were on the trip and ran into someone that had a Jay Flight ??17. They let us take a look at it...that led to drinks and shared dinner that evening. My main concern was, once again, dealing with trying to fold up canvas; tuck, fold, push, adjust, etc, etc... John quickly explained that he uses his vent fan to assist in the process. His little hybrid has a Fan-Tastic fan. He was gracious enough to even demonstrate closing up without and with the fan.

Since then I have only seen this mentioned rarely on forums and Facebook groups as a method of closing up the hybrid. Basically, the vent fan, running wide open with windows and doors closed creates a vacuum inside the camper that helps to pull the canvas inward and away from the sealing area. Watching this in person was eye opening. This was his process (this is after folding the mattress and other inside prep).

1, Close all windows and doors,
    2, Turn roof vent fan on high (within seconds you can see the canvas pulling inward),
    3, Release the roof bow support (shepherds hook) and slowly lower the end bow (this allows the sides to fold in first),
    4, Go outside and wait about 10-15 seconds after closing the door (so the vacuum is regained),
    5, Fold in any skirting and slowly lift the bed deck and close.

He demonstrated this three times and only once did the closing require some "final" assisting before closing the bed deck and that was only a simply one handed tuck of the skirt. He said he typically spends about 30 seconds closing the deck...and from my first hand observation I would agree with him!

I know closing one or two bed decks will be MUCH easier than folding up a complete PUP. So we are still headed toward hybrid country...just need to sell the Banshee first...or not! :)

So, I would like to hear from those of you that use this method and your comments about either your success or failures doing this.

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Works great for us. We have a Max-air fan that does a great job. A Fantastic fan will also do a great job. The vents with the undersized fan may not cut it.

FlyboyTR likes this.
  3. bikendan

bikendan Member

Feb 26, 2012
    All the hybrids that I know of, with pre-attached canvas ends, can do that.
    Creates a suction.

FlyboyTR likes this.
  4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Closing has never been a problem for me. It takes me less than a minute to close....without the fans

FlyboyTR likes this.
  5. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    Same here. It also helps being tall though as I can reach as high as I need to. If I was under 5' 8" I might want the fan option.

Mine doesn't have an exhaust fan so I can comment on what it would be like to use it with one.

6. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Mar 29, 2010
    I had never heard that trick, however my hybrid canvas are not preattached so it would not work but I have not have the need to. I generally have no problem closing the bunks. Vacuum or not, it is a lot easier than a pop up.
    I still have a pup, love it but it is what it is.
    What I love a bout the hybrid is the ability to turtle in if you see your getting rain on and the canvas would be wet you just close and turtle in for the last day or two... LOVE IT!
    Cant wait until my finances get back to what they were before so i can get me that hybrid I want...

FlyboyTR likes this.
  7. azfansinnc

azfansinnc New Member

Feb 9, 2018
    North Carolina
    The Maxxair fans on our Roo work really well for us when buttoning up. We tried it in the driveway a few times and on our first trip over the long Tgiving weekend. There we were in a spot where the back bunk was over a slope and there was no way to reach the fabric to tuck it. I'm 6' tall and there was no way to reach more than a third of the way up the door. In this situation, it was a godsend. We have two fans but only used one in the bathroom for this process. You can feel and hear the suction as soon as you close the camper door. We also leave our PUG installed and that adds to the amount of material involved.

FlyboyTR likes this.
  8. FlyboyTR

FlyboyTR New Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Mobile, AL
    Thanks for the info provided. It sounds like this is a viable option for many hybrids. I am all about anything to make things easier and still achieve the same results!