Video: Using Elastomeric Paint to Restore the Roof

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by sstressfl, Jul 4, 2018.

1. sstressfl

sstressfl New Member

Jul 4, 2018
    Vermont
    Hi all! Last year we bought a 1997 Starcraft Popup Camper and have been fixing it up one DIY project at a time. This weekend, it was time to renew and reseal the roof! A gallon of Henry's elastomeric paint from Home Depot seemed to be the right stuff. This is how I did it and this is the final result. I hope this video is helpful to others.

dewpetals, jnc and megcabra like this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Looks good, hope it last another 21 years!

sstressfl likes this.
  3. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Looks fantastic!

Our aluminum roof on our 1998 Coleman Redwood is starting to show some thinning paint in areas. I previously touched up with Rustoleium semi gloss white spray paint. But this may be a better long term solution for us too.

Thanks for sharing!

sstressfl likes this.
  4. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Interesting. I've been stalling on ordering $200 bucks worth of Grizzly Grip wondering if there was a simpler method. I'm sure the elastometric paint won't last as long as the GG, but I could probably get 5 years and then do it again. I cover my PUP with a RV cover so I'll get more years out it.

megcabra and sstressfl like this.
  5. sstressfl

sstressfl New Member

Jul 4, 2018
    Vermont
    Time will tell indeed. I like that the Henry's paint is almost zero smell, cleans up with water, easy to work with. And they give it a 10 year limited warranty. As long as the surface is thoroughly cleaned before painting, it should provide years of protection. Not bad for $25.

tzmartin and megcabra like this.
  6. Kiddingaround

Kiddingaround New Member

Jun 28, 2018
    West Virginia
    have you thought about regular bedliner paint .. https://www.google.com/search?q=bed....69i57j0l5.15191j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

7. Susannah Miller

Susannah Miller New Member

Jul 10, 2018
    I just finished redoing the entire interior of my popup. Took the awning to a marine upholstery place and had a new bag sewn on. Noticed slight leak in the roof. I have cleaned with roof w/ TSP and am applying the Kool Seal today. Now I need to figure out what to paint over the Kool seal that will give it a gloss and make it easy to clean. Any suggestions?? (I'm trying to stay with something lower cost since I have already put so much into it lately)

8. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I many be wrong but I dont believe you dont want to paint over Kool Seal as it is meant to be the finish coat.

Kiddingaround likes this.