Video: Using Elastomeric Paint to Restore the Roof

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by sstressfl, Jul 4, 2018.

1. sstressfl

sstressfl New Member

Jul 4, 2018
    Vermont
    Hi all! Last year we bought a 1997 Starcraft Popup Camper and have been fixing it up one DIY project at a time. This weekend, it was time to renew and reseal the roof! A gallon of Henry's elastomeric paint from Home Depot seemed to be the right stuff. This is how I did it and this is the final result. I hope this video is helpful to others.

jnc and megcabra like this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Looks good, hope it last another 21 years!

sstressfl likes this.
  3. megcabra

megcabra Active Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Chapel Hill, North Carolina
    Looks fantastic!

Our aluminum roof on our 1998 Coleman Redwood is starting to show some thinning paint in areas. I previously touched up with Rustoleium semi gloss white spray paint. But this may be a better long term solution for us too.

Thanks for sharing!

sstressfl likes this.
  4. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Interesting. I've been stalling on ordering $200 bucks worth of Grizzly Grip wondering if there was a simpler method. I'm sure the elastometric paint won't last as long as the GG, but I could probably get 5 years and then do it again. I cover my PUP with a RV cover so I'll get more years out it.

megcabra and sstressfl like this.
  5. sstressfl

sstressfl New Member

Jul 4, 2018
    Vermont
    Time will tell indeed. I like that the Henry's paint is almost zero smell, cleans up with water, easy to work with. And they give it a 10 year limited warranty. As long as the surface is thoroughly cleaned before painting, it should provide years of protection. Not bad for $25.

tzmartin and megcabra like this.
  6. Kiddingaround

Kiddingaround New Member

Jun 28, 2018
    West Virginia
    have you thought about regular bedliner paint .. https://www.google.com/search?q=bed....69i57j0l5.15191j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

7. Susannah Miller

Susannah Miller New Member

Tuesday
    I just finished redoing the entire interior of my popup. Took the awning to a marine upholstery place and had a new bag sewn on. Noticed slight leak in the roof. I have cleaned with roof w/ TSP and am applying the Kool Seal today. Now I need to figure out what to paint over the Kool seal that will give it a gloss and make it easy to clean. Any suggestions?? (I'm trying to stay with something lower cost since I have already put so much into it lately)

8. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I many be wrong but I dont believe you dont want to paint over Kool Seal as it is meant to be the finish coat.

Kiddingaround likes this.