Vin number location

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by Jearly, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Jearly

Jearly New Member

Aug 7, 2017
    I have an old montgomery ward western field tent trailer my grandpa gave me a few years back. I need to register it but it has no plates or paperwork and I cannot locate the vin number. I'm guessing its late 60's early 70s.
    Thanks

2. bsandey

bsandey Active Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Red Wing, MN
    Usually, it's on the driver's side of the trailer, toward the front. But it could be anywhere. Look for a sticker or stamped on the frame itself. Maybe even a second set of eyes to help.

If you just can't find it at all, contact your state's DMV to have one reassigned to the trailer.

3. Jearly

Jearly New Member

Aug 7, 2017

4. Jearly

Jearly New Member

Aug 7, 2017
    Here is the trailer and this is on the side?

Attached Files:

5. bsandey

bsandey Active Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Red Wing, MN
    That's not it. That's a certification that it meets those standards. Check the tongue and frame of the trailer. It might be stamped in somewhere.

Jearly likes this.
  6. roybraddy

roybraddy Active Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    My 2008 POPUP trailer has a riveted on decal with my VIN NUMBER and DATE of Manufacturer on the drivers side front frame area...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

Some have found the number STAMPED into the top of the frame tongue area...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Jearly likes this.
  7. Jearly

Jearly New Member

Aug 7, 2017

8. Jearly

Jearly New Member

Aug 7, 2017
    There is a spot that looks like it had a plate at one time bit its gone. I hope its stamped somewhere on the frame also

9. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Besides having the tag, mine is also stamped on the top of the V portion of the tongue.

10. bsandey

bsandey Active Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Red Wing, MN
    If you can't find it, your state's DMV and reissue a VIN. It's easier with the one it came with with if you can find it, but it's not the end of the world if you can't.

11. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    20170717_174203.jpg
    Mine is stamped in the top of the plate that supports the propane bottles on the tongue. You can see some of it low in this picture, just to the left of the breakaway switch. Yours is much older so it might be gone by now. As said, you can go and have a new number given to it. At this point, you could even get it registered as homemade.