VT - Button Bay SP

Discussion in 'Vermont' started by Dan G, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Dan G

Dan G New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Stayed here last weekend and loved the place. Arrived on Fri evening with no reservation. Weather forecast was iffy at best and I thought it would be fairly empty. Well only a few spots left but we took #35. Has a ton of room around it but you are in the middle of the loop. Turns out the Lake Champlain Bass Tournament was underway - who would have guessed. The ranger told me this was their busiest week - even busier than the 4th of July! Also learned there was a wedding at the park's pavilion on Sat. Many folks stayed at on-site and it was great to see them walking around all dressed up on Sat.

Anyway even with all of the people and tons of kids the park became unbelievably quiet at 10 each night - quiet hrs are 10-7. I still marvel at how little noise was around. Some of the bass folks were up at 4 or 5 but they left quietly.

Now for the specifics. Bathrooms could be updated but are very clean. Someone came by at 930 on Fri evening to clean them and then several times on Sat. Water but no electric although they do have a separate room in the bath house on the big loop with lots of outlets to charge batteries. Firewood available at the main gate house.

The park is right on Lake Champlain. They have a boat launch too. Sites 48, 50, 52, and 54 have GREAT views down the lake. All of the sites on the large loop are good except 32 which is just too small for a trailer, 44 which has sites all around it, and 40/41 are just too close to the dump station for my taste. Otherwise the sites are well spaced. Not too many trees here so shade is at a minimum. Decent playground.

The small loop has a bunch of lean-tos plus some camping sites. Many looked to be tough to back into. The great thing about VT is they have a nice mouse over for their campsite maps. It allows you to click and have a picture of the site shown. Not yet down for every park or site but most at Button Bay.

The park has no beach but you can get to the rocky lakefront in many areas. Some good trails down to the point where the view of the lake and the Adirondacks is superb. Also a nature center down that way. It is mostly closed as the naturalist's salary was cut a few yrs ago. But we lucked out and one of the summer help had it opened on Sat so we spent some time there. My 8 yo loved it - lots of dead stuff - and they have another room that discusses the original owners and how the park came to be.

Overall we were very impressed and would visit again. Especially if we could get a lakefront site!

Dan

2. NHDalton

NHDalton I camp, therefore I am

Jun 30, 2008
    Ayuh, New Hampsha
    Good review Dan. Thanks.

3. wwiihistory

wwiihistory New Member

Aug 21, 2015
    About to purchase our first pup and a few weeks ago we brought our twins to this park to check out the sites. Above review is acurrate. Was there during the day. They have a nice zero gravity (walk in) pool with a small water slide & water jets which the kids loved. They also have a very nice play structure. Walked 1/4 mile to rocky point at lake level. Watch your kids!

Like reviewer said, not a ton of trees however high brush between sites. Sites are nice grass with some overlooking lake.