want to install battery

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by jldavis, Oct 18, 2017.

1. jldavis

jldavis New Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I have a 1998 palomino colt. It does not have a battery on it. It looks like it has never had a battery on it. I am thinking about installing a battery. What do I need to look for in the camper to see if it is battery ready or what do I need to get for the electrical system?

Any help would be grateful. Thank you.

2. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    A furnace and a converter for starters.

Oh and a fuse panel.

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    my PU batt neg was wired to a common ground clamp under the PU, there were other neg commons wire to the clamp.

My PU batt pos was wire with a fuse near the battery and a splice into the existing factory 'charge' line that was wire from the tongue connector to the power center as pictured.

batt1.JPG

4. jldavis

jldavis New Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Thanks, when I open the camper again which will probably be nest week after it rains, I will look at the electrical box inside.

5. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    My 2002 Rockwood Freedom 1910 also had no battery when I bought it. I decided to put one on it. Pup’s are wired somewhat like a house, black is power, white is neutral (or 12v ground). I have a storage bunker on the front of my Pup that gets so loaded and heavy, I didn't want to strain my previous TV too much. I decided to put my batt on the rear bumper to try and lighten up the tongue weight. It worked perfect for my situation.
    Yes it will charge from my TV while running, (with a 7 pin round), or from plugged into shore power.

As for the 6 pin connector on the side of the tongue frame, my pins are as follows...

3 across the top are, ...right turn/stop, ...tail, ...left turn/stop
    2 across the bottom + bare metal pin are, ... charge batt, ...electric brakes, ... ground
    The 7 pin round goes to only 6 pins on the frame, because the center pin on the 7 is usually used for back up lights. Most pups don't have them.

I didn't bother looking for factory wires in the tongue frame area, because when it comes to wiring, I'm a go big or go home kind of guy. I didn't want to use small ones that the factory might provide.
    I ran a #10/3 cabtire wire (stranded conductors, water proof rubber, looks like a cord on your electric drill only much thicker), from the back of that 6 pin on the tongue, all the way to the batt box I mounted on the back bumper.

I used the black wire to go from the charge pin at the tongue, to the batt pos. at the rear bumper. There is a 30 amp breaker at the batt end.
    I spliced (soldered) the white wire onto the wire coming off the bare metal ground pin at the tongue and hooked it to the batt neg. (at the rear bumper). I also attached another white wire back in the batt box to go to the frame for another body ground.
    There is a left over green wire that I just marretted off and can be used for a future use project if needed.

Mid way along the length of the long wire, (around the area of the axle) I cut into the wire and ran another 10/3 up into the dinette seat area where the converter is. This splice is soldered and very well waterproofed under the Pup.
    At the back of the converter, I marretted the black wire to a thick red wire coming out of the converter. The red was labelled with a factory note, but I don't remember what it said. Take a look at yours, you'll find it.
    I attached the white wire to the ground bar on the back of the converter.
    The extra left over green is just sitting in there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. jldavis

jldavis New Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Thanks for the info. I plan to get back into the camper in a few weeks. Things are crazy around here right now. Vacation coming up at the end of the month. Hope to spend time working on it then.

7. Wrenchgear

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    Sorry about my pictures disappearing, but it turns out that Photobucket now wants $400 a year to hotlink pictures onto forums like this. I refuse to pay that kind of $$, so I guess all my pictures will go away. Oh well, sorry.

8. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    If you can retrieve your photos from the Photobucket Site just move them to IMGUR which is another FREE site that will assign a URL address to your photos that can be posted of forums. I did this last month with the few RV Related Photobucket Photos I had on their site...

I copied all of my photobucket photos back to a folder on my harddrive... To make it easy on me I renamed all of these photos with something simple like starting with RBPhotos 001.jpg. Then I could just browse my folder using IMGUR and it found my RBPhotos files and I was able to move each one to the IMGUR photo program... I did have a few photos that the pixel sizes were less than 640 x 480 so I ran those through my PAINT program and resized then up to 640 x 480 and did not lose any resolution. The photos I was really interested in were the ones I post on forums about RV things... I already had 99% of the personal photos already on my harddrives,,, Took me a few hours to rearrange everything.

Now all my photos have a good HTTPS URL address again that is accepted on the forums... IMGUR adds it own unique filename...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  9. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    It seems to me that the writing is on the wall, the hosting sites are done with freebies. And want to start recovering their costs. Google may stay free, but I haven't been able to find a way to embed them here on the Portal.

10. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    I host mine for free through Imgur.com and so far no problems, as shown by the this...
    [​IMG]

11. Wrenchgear

Aug 5, 2010
    5 Star Eagle Camper
    Yeah, not meaning to highjack the battery thread here, but thanks roybraddy for the suggestion. We all went through this a couple of years ago when a very popular photo hosting site, called Webshots went down in a very similar way as photobucket. I will probably look into going over to imgur, but I'm not going to spend too much time on it and then have it all fall apart in a year or 2 again. It's annoying to do it all just to post a couple of pictures. Thanks again.

12. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    PB torqued me the wrong way years ago, I've been using Imjur ever since, seems to work OK for me. YMMV

13. ArizonaJoe

ArizonaJoe Member

Oct 18, 2017
    If you are going to install a battery, let me make a couple suggestions. First of all, your battery-less DC system is based around your converter (changes AC into DC). Your ability to use the converter and add in a battery to the system will depend on the age and features of your converter. When I updated the electrical on a 1987 Coleman Laramie, the built in 15 amp converter was a little too sketchy for my liking, so I opted to scrap the converter and install a small stand alone AC system that would also power up a deep cycle battery charger and I wired a fuse panel to the batteries (six of the 6 volt golf cart batteries run series parallel).
    You do not have to go quite as crazy as me, but you do need to make sure that whatever is charging your battery in the DC system, make sure that it is not going to boil over the battery or you will ruin it in a hurry.
    I also suggest two different ground systems in you have an AC ground (especially a GFCI system) and 12VIN ground. Many of your DC devices (solar charge controller, inverter and chargers) may have a ground lug for Earth ground along with the standard 12V DC ground. There is a reason why they are separate and not just wired together. This is less of a problem with a small system with converter (many of which do not have a 12V battery) that runs a coupleasure shore power 110ac outlerst and enough DC power for lights and anot electric water pump.
    If you have any other questions, I would be more then willing to help within my area of knowledge.

Attached Files: