Wapiti Campground WY

Discussion in 'Wyoming' started by f5moab, Mar 22, 2016.

1. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    US Forest service campground located in Shoshone NF, it is approx. 30 miles west of Cody and 25 miles from the East entrance to Yellowstone NP. Filled with berry trees so in the fall it can sometimes be off-limits to soft sided trailers, this happened to me last year in Sept. The berries came early and the grizzlies love them, so they closed it to popups and tents, to prevent any possible conflicts.

The eastern loop does offer power, vault toilets are very well maintained and most sites offer decent semblance of privacy.

Some great hiking trails, including Sweetwater Creek road, the entrance road to the campground. Just follow the road over the wooden bridge that goes over the North Fork of the Shoshone River and you head up into some wilderness, but I highly recommend bear spray. That was one of the places I encountered a grizzly about a mile or two up that trail.

From this spot, you can also do a nice day long road trip up to Red Lodge MT, then down the Beartooth Parkway, to the Chief Joseph Scenic Parkway, and back through Cody to the Campground. It can easily be done in a day and still have plenty of time to stop and get the needed photos.

[​IMG]

Bridge over NF Shoshone River
    [​IMG]

NF Shoshone River shots from Bridge
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(All photos are GPS tagged.)

JPBar likes this.
  2. Tin_man

Tin_man New Member

Jan 15, 2016
    Awesome. I'm jealous.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Great place to camp at. We stayed here one night on our way into Yellowstone. Met some friends in Cody which is about 30 minutes away. It's nice to have electricity and charge things up before heading into YNP.