Water Heater bleeding propane...thoughts?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by DCIGuy, Jul 7, 2018.

1. DCIGuy

DCIGuy New Member

Apr 28, 2016
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Hello fellow campers. On our most recent trip we discovered a small gas leak in the exterior of the water heater compartment. The picture below shows exactly where. It's at the right-angle connector leading from the internal pipe. I've tried twisting either side of the connection but to no avail. The idiot side of my brain thinks I should try covering the connection in some sort of sealant (silicon, latex, other...). Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Just my opinion I would loosen fitting and apply new Teflon tape for gas lines it is yellow in color. Good Luck.
    [​IMG]

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    That is a flare fitting. The end of the copper tubing is expanded to make a flare. The nut you see just holds it tight. Never use teflon tape on a flare fitting nut or the tube itself. This is a dangerous leak.....you could have a fire.
    TO REPAIR Loosen the nut and take the connection apart. Inspect the end of the copper tube for cracks nicks etc. You could try polish the nicks out with sandpaper and reinstall the tube. Check for leaks with soapy water. If it does work a new flare will have to made on the end of the tube.

Sjm9911 and nineoaks2004 like this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    Agreed no Teflon tape. Losses the connection and try to get it linked up square, then tighten in good. Mine was hard as they don't leave any room for play on the gas line. They do sell tools to flare out brass , but it's a pita.

5. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Active Member

May 22, 2013
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    I wonder if you could use gas line paint? It is the stuff used to paint the joints of natural gas lines (usually around natural gas meters), and cures to a rubbery substance. Fairly inexpensive for a small can with applicator (can looks like PVC cement can), and it cleans off fairly easily if it fails. Cure time is something like 5-20 minutes.

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    No, that's the same thing , like Teflon. The seal is made by the fare and the ball. If any thing gets in there it dosent work.

7. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    As the above have started....no sealers. Are you sure the nut is tight on the elbow? Have you taken the fitting apart and inspected both the elbow and the flared copper?