Water in storage area

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by lostboy, Aug 19, 2017.

1. lostboy

lostboy Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    Our camper storage area has a crack, cracks, but one decided to leak. I am not sure if it finally opened up or if it's because we changed how we park it but it's now letting water in.

The previous owner used something white to seal the crack and smeared it all over and I am having a hard time removing it. Between the roof, the storage lid and the curve of the main area I can only get a small putty knife and I am not having any luck removing it.

Any tips, tricks or ideas to remove the junk?

It's going to rain tomorrow, if I can't get it removed I'll just put some bathtub caulk on it to get through that storm and continue to fix it properly.

2. lostboy

lostboy Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    Big flat screw driver seems to be doing the trick.

3. lostboy

lostboy Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    So for a temp fix I patched it with geocell proflex I had around. What is the best long term solution to fix it. Should I use eternabond tape, or I saw something about melting pellets on a roof repair thread? It has two cracks, one is not leaking, I will be doing both right next weekend.

4. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Can you post some pictures of what you are dealing with?

5. lostboy

lostboy Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    Working on adding images

6. lostboy

lostboy Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    Posted them. In the bottom one you can see the white junk I had to remove. The crack is all the way through. When I look from inside the storage I can see daylight through the crack. I filled it with proflex and I am sure it's fine temporarily but want to fix this one, the other one and the lid correctly next weekend.

7. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    While you are at it poke the floor with an ice pick. It may have rot.

8. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Jun 14, 2014
    If you can reinforce the area from the back side with a piece of Aluminum, I recommend it. I had several cracks on the storage trunk of my camper. I reinforced them from the back by epoxying some thinner gauge Al across the cracks. On one bad crack that went through, I used a weatherable adhesive tape to seal the crack. I just replaced that tape after 5 years of use, no big deal. Pretty sure the previous owner used silicone caulk. You need to scrape that off and use liberal amounts of paint thinner to remove the rest. You can caulk as you did with a high quality one, but what I have found is that it doesn't work well because the gap is small and so the % change across the gap causes it to reopen up. The tape I used is a weatherable window flashing tape made by 3M.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  9. lostboy

lostboy Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    The floor is a bit soft but was still wet. I will check it more today. Found that the water made its way inside by about a foot. Luckily we had things there that stopped and soaked it up...just ruined a few board games.

Do you think eternabond tape will work for the outside? I am getting half a roll for free tomorrow.

Agreed on getting all that junk off. It's a pain but needs to be done. Next weekend my wife and I will attack it.

I can't get at the back for aluminum because the wood braces are in the way.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  10. lostboy

lostboy Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    Well we just stress tested the fix and water was pouring in. There has to be something bigger going on that we can't see with the storage lid attached. We plan to plastic it up and try our best to keep water out over the next week and then pull it and find it next weekend.

11. jnellis01

jnellis01 Love to Travel

Jul 4, 2014
    Did you replace the gasket/seal around the storage lid? I had the same cracks in my ABS Storage Box, patched the crack, but leak continued. Eventually I replaced the gasket/seal.

12. lostboy

lostboy Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    No but that is on the agenda for next weekend too.

My wife thought it was that but I don't understand how there could be drips between the wood under the fiberglass/plastic if it's the seal. Wouldn't the water be dripping from the plastic on the inside from the overflow? Trying to visualize that.

13. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

Jun 14, 2014
    If you can't find the leak, my recommendation would be to have someone lay inside the storage area with a light while you do the stress test again. Hopefully that will allow you to find the source of the leak and then fix it.

14. lostboy

lostboy Member

Nov 13, 2016
    Lakeville, MN
    Well the wood underneath that was wet is solid again since it's dry. Our plastic protector worked and got us through the storm yesterday.

Does anyone have a link for the weatherstripping that is needed for the storage lid? Not exactly sure what I am searching for or where to get a roll that fits.

15. Ismael Jenkins

Ismael Jenkins New Member

Aug 30, 2017
    have you contacted the plumber for solving this leakage problem?