water leaking from shower faucets

Discussion in 'Plumbing Systems (The Fresh, The Blue, The Grey, &' started by mikracer, Feb 12, 2018.

1. mikracer

mikracer New Member

Jul 28, 2015
    I recently purchased a Rockwood 2280 pup and am in the process of sanitizing the water tank (black stuff visible in tank bottom). I added the bleach solution and opened up the faucets and then the shower heads to get the water running through all the lines. The 2280 has an outdoor shower and when I turned on the hot and cold water knob, water was leaking from the knob area. Same thing happened with the inside shower. I can see behind the fixtures where the water lines connect and those aren't leaking, so it seems to have something to do with the actual fixture.

Theres a cover on the fixture that I'm not sure how to take off and thats where I need someones help. I feel like it should be simple, but I don't want to wrestle with it and break it if someone can just tell me how it comes off.

Thanks!

2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    did you use pressure regulator on water faucet?

[​IMG]

If not, get one and put it under water source faucet at sites before you hook up the hose.

If you are using the regulator, both popup faucets may need to be replaced.

3. mikracer

mikracer New Member

Jul 28, 2015
    I was using the water tank and water pump.

4. Halford

Sep 28, 2011
    gotcha. did you run the pump constantly?

I am asking to rule out a few things.

5. Halford

Sep 28, 2011
    I read your first post, it looks like both fixture are worn out and in need of replacing. or replace the "O" rings.

6. mikracer

mikracer New Member

Jul 28, 2015
    That may be the case. I'm just trying to figure out how to get the trim cover off so I can get to the leaking point. It only leaks when the faucets are turned on.

7. Fless

Fless Active Member

Need a picture or two of the faucet. Different angles.

8. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Jan 28, 2015
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    This is what my rockwood looks like for the outside shower. (Yes not used at all)
    Knobs have been removed to service the sink inside as we don't use it.
    You will note the threaded portion around each tap.
    20180213_142200.jpg

And when unthreaded it looks like this. Simple o ring to change around the outside diameter.

Do make sure that there is no crack in the housing or the tap assy. It may be leaking there when it is turned on. Tap does not see water around the valve until the tap is on.
    20180213_142334.jpg
    Inside the hole, there is a small seal at the bottom you can't see with this image.

9. Halford

Sep 28, 2011
    try put plumber tape around the thread before putting these back inside. try replacing the "O" ring it might have expanded some. do both before putting it back inside and tighten with hand.

10. Fless

Fless Active Member

@mikracer, the fixtures generally aren't easy to take apart. If there's a problem with it you can change the whole thing out rather inexpensively, $15-$20, more if you get a new shower head. Usually the valves are 4" on center IIRC, and the whole thing can be removed by unscrewing the water lines and the plastic nuts on the back side (inside the cabin). Measure yours before buying.

The o-ring you see on the removed cartridge is what would allow water to leak out under the knobs. The seal down in the cavity is what is used to turn on and off the water. If nothing leaks when the valves are closed, those seals are okay. I'd recommend cleaning the valve cavity, new o-rings, and some plumber's grease on the o-ring and a little on the bottom of the cartridge before it's reassembled.

The other place those fixtures leak is where the hose attaches. Typically that's an anti-siphon valve and those can go bad. If the fixture is cracked or you don't want to spend a lot of time messing with it, replace it with a new one and you'll be good to go. If you don't use the shower, you may be able to figure out a way to cap the supply lines inside the cabin.
    _

11. Halford

Sep 28, 2011
    Fless did great in explaining....