Water pump to use for 120 only

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by Earthfairies, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Earthfairies

Earthfairies Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Hey everyone, I am not sure what water pump to install into my camper that uses only electricity from the campground. 120 or 30Amp I think. I do not have an RV battery and never will on this unit as it has no place to even put one. Never came with that originally. I want to change out the taps to regular ones. Not the hand pump kind.
    I see a lot of 12V water pumps and was told these would not work for an electrical hookup at the campgrounds.

Any suggestions which one to get?

2. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Norwalk CT
    You should have a power converter in your pup that converts the shore power to 12v to run your lights. You can hook up the 12V pump through the converter and it will convert the 120v to 12v and you will always have the option if you ever decide to hook up a battery for boondocking in the future. I'm sure others with a lot more electrical experience than I have will chime in and give you more options but offhand this is probably what I would do.

Earthfairies and kitphantom like this.
  3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    I would second what Fuzzy Bear said unless you don't have a converter. In that case you will also have 120 volt lights which I doubt but possible.
    Then you would search for a 120 vac. demand water pump. The key word is "demand". There are plenty of 120 volt water pumps but "demand" is hard to find for this application.

Earthfairies likes this.
  4. Earthfairies

Earthfairies Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Oh, I see now. I have a water pump in there right now but was told it didn't work, and since I have the converter set on shore power as they say, it does not work. My converter has a switch that can switch from battery to Electrical power. So perhaps this pump already in the trailer just needed the converter switched over to Battery power? No one ever used an RV battery in this trailer so not sure how that works. Will my other electrical plugs and lights cut out if I switch over to battery? Sorry, for all the silly questions but I am new to this pup and trying to restore it to some extent.

5. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I was needing a 120VAC Water pump to use and found one in the old KENMORE washing machine sitting in my woods that hasn't been hauled off yet.

It moves alot of water and runs from any 120VAC connection....

Was able to adapt in and out water hoses just fine...

This is a modern day 120VAC 30A 120VAC 12VDC Power Distribution Center that most trailers are built to...

[​IMG]

My 2008 Model trailer has all of this installed in it...

If my battery becomes non operational it will work just fine plugging into 120VAC Shore Power or Generator as it has an converter/charger built-in to supply the 12VDC that is needed to operate all of the DC items shown in the above block diagram... It would however not be allowed to be towed over public roads without the 12VDC battery installed.

I guess you need to come up with an electrical diagram of your trailer from the manf or some other source and see what is installed.

My trailer is really heavy and has required Electric Brakes installed so I am required by STATE DOT to have an on-board battery to operate the electric brakes if the trailer becomes disconnected from the tow vehicle going down the public roads... I also have a required annual STATE DOT Safety Inspection if my trailer is licensed to use on public highways...

It is amazing to me how so many of these older trailers are showing with very minimal electrical requirements and one never knows what to do with them...

I found out what I was suppose to do when I registered my Trailer with the local State DMV office... Based on the title infomation it right away needed a license plate installed... Then it needed a DOT Safety Inspection done on an annual basis. My has a SAFETY Inspection Sticker on the tongue area just like all of the other trailers have...

[​IMG]
    Google image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    Earthfairies likes this.
  6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    What kind of pop up do you have? Did it have a battery before?

Earthfairies likes this.
  7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    You shouldent have to switch over the converter, at least in mine it's automatic.

Earthfairies likes this.
  8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    The problem may be the pump itself. It should run on 12v when connected to shore power, as your lights do. As I understand it, when the converter is switched to "battery power", that is where it is pulling the power from - since you don't have a battery,that is not an option.

Earthfairies likes this.
  9. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Norwalk CT
    You may not have to switch it over for the pump to work. As TomBiasi said, it's more than likely that your lights are 12v and I assume they have been working all along which means the converter is working properly and turning the 120v to 12v for them. Have you tried the pump? If it isn't working see if you can follow the wires back to the converter and see if there might be a bad fuse or breaker tripped. You can try switching it over to battery, but I believe that would only pertain if you had a battery hooked up. Again, hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will chime in on your particular year and model.

Earthfairies likes this.
  10. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Should work just as the dome light do. Check for power at the electric pump if you have one. Leave the converter set to conv.
    I would not install a 110 VAC pump. Stick to a 12VDC pump like every other camper has. Who ever told you it wouldn't work, don't ask them any more questions.

neighbormike and Earthfairies like this.
  11. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Roy,
    Yo
    Roy, You know washing machine drain motors are not rated for potable water right?

12. Earthfairies

Earthfairies Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    It is a 1995 Viking 175SD XL (not sure what the XL means) extra long maybe? LOL It did not have a battery before.

13. Earthfairies

Earthfairies Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    The person that told me it didn't work was the person I purchased the camper from. Although you are right....they were not very knowledgable on anything... I asked when was the last time the bearings were packed on the wheels and she looked at me strange like. I should have figured out then that things were weird.

But also the person I was going to purchase the pump from said the 12V would not work on shore power either. You would think they would know something about their pumps, but then again..... who knows.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  14. Earthfairies

Earthfairies Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  15. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    What they are saying is that you can't plug the pump into a wall outlet. Your campers converter supples 12 volt power to run your ceiling lights etc and will also do the water pump.

16. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    That pump will work, it does have a low output and pressure but will work,

Earthfairies likes this.
  17. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Member

May 22, 2013
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    How much pressure do you need for a popup? I'm looking to replace my pump in my Coleman/Fleetwood 2003 Timberlake. The video on this pump appears to show adequate pressure.

May even motivate me to take a shower while camping for once.

Earthfairies likes this.
  18. Earthfairies

Earthfairies Member

Jul 27, 2017
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Should I chose one with better pressure perhaps and higher output? I found that seaflo one on Amazon.ca

19. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    I'm using that exact pump in our pup, & water pressure / flow is adequate, but all we have is a sink, no water heater, no shower.

Earthfairies likes this.
  20. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We replaced the original water pump in our TT with this one: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XM5G70/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Not as cheap as the ones cited, but it has been quieter and builds pressure more quickly than the original. (Can't remember the brand of that one, but it was obviously a less expensive one.)
    Our TT is 17' (smaller than a lot of pups, it's as long as our 8' one was when open, though that had less floor space), and we have one sink, a toilet, and hot water tank. We do have a shower, but don't use it.

Earthfairies likes this.