Water under pop up gizmos

Discussion in 'PopUp Gizmos' started by RDWRER, Jul 17, 2016.

1. RDWRER

RDWRER Member

Jul 31, 2015
    We ordered our SHW gizmos from Bob who got them to us SUPER fast right before a holiday weekend for our 9 day trip. I'm so grateful to him for that! While popping up on vacation I added industrial strength Velcro under the roof edge and stapled it down. Bob had the fuzzy side sewn on to the gizmos for me. They kept the camper nice and cool and I noticed the fridge stayed cooler too-bonus!

I only had one problem and I'm not sure what to think about it. While camping we had a steady light rain for a couple hours and then about an hour of steady downpour. If we had been in a tent we would have been swimming type of downpour. So there were still a couple days to dry out before packing up, and we thought we were lucky to be packing up dry. But, when we took the gizmos off, the top of the bunks under the gizmos were very wet.

Did I install them wrong? Is this to be expected in a hard rain? How do I get the gizmos off so the bunks can dry and I don't have to put it away wet next time?

2. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Mine get wet too. Pretty sure it's just condensation. On the super high wind it could be from the stitching as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. gruss

gruss Active Member

May 6, 2014
    Fairly common, if we're packing up on a dry day I just unclip them so it can dry out underneath.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    I'll have to try this, do you take them down completely or just unclip them from underneath?

5. gruss

gruss Active Member

May 6, 2014
    Unclip them and let them flap. The pool noodle trick under them works too.

6. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    You don't happen to have the picture or thread for the pool noddle trick?

7. gruss

gruss Active Member

May 6, 2014
    Just stick a noodle or 2 in between gizmo and canvas after their on and clipped. That air gap helps with condensation.

8. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    Sounds good thanks. My wife won't let me buy a hybrid so I have to do some upgrades to our pop up lol.

9. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I had the same thing on mine when it was up during heavy rain. You will get condensation buildup under the PUGs as they do not really breathe. I bought some pool noodles to use, but haven't been in the rain since. If I know rain is in the forecast I will also ring the mattress with noodles. On my camper the canvas window panels are not waterproof, which I found out after the first heavy extended rain we had. As a result the panel would soak up water, which would transfer down the inside of the canvas on the interior, and then would get soaked up by the mattress and bedding. I have since retreated the fabric for water resistance, but the pool noodles will provide an extra layer of protection as they do not absorb water.