Waterproofing

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Horby, Jul 11, 2018 at 3:51 PM.

1. Horby

Horby Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Florida
    So I've been doing tons of research so I dont have to keep asking questions but there aren't any definitive answers anywhere because every article has it's own opinion. I'm about to clean my vinyl and canvas for the first time and was wondering do I have to waterproof it every time after I wash it? Any advice will help!!!

2. William Freeman

William Freeman Member

May 5, 2018
    Richburg SC
    I just did the Sunbrella on mine a few weeks ago. I bought the Arcadia a little over a month ago and have been chipping away at repairs and maintenance that the previous owner didn't do. Anyway, the canvas was slightly dirty so I cleaned it with the recommended Woolite mix - it cleaned up nicely. While I was scrubbing (with a soft bristle car wash brush), I noticed that the Sunbrella was not repelling the water - it was soaking in, in a lot of places. After the washing, I let it dry in the sun. The next day I sprayed it down with 303 Fabric Guard (avoid getting it on the vinyl as it states that it can discolor it). When I was satisfied that I had good coverage, I let it dry until the next day. I tested the water repellency - it just beaded up and didn't soak in. Should be good to go for a while now. I see some folks saying they do it every year - I'll just check mine when I wash it and re treat if necessary.

That was the long version. Short version - NO, you don't. Normal washing shouldn't harm the repellency EVERY time. If you use the bleach cleaning method (deep clean), it might be a good idea to go ahead and do it. Check to see if water soaks into the canvas - if it does, treat it.

Rik Peery likes this.
  3. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    Used the 303 when we had our pop up, agree it did well...we had one corner that would leak during a hard or prolonged rain, dude camping next to us told me to try some bees wax; found some small blocks at Wally World, got it warm & rubbed it into the outer, & bingo it worked for us...good time during the wash to see wazz up inside

Horby likes this.
  4. William Freeman

William Freeman Member

May 5, 2018
    Richburg SC
    I will have to put that on my list for our first trip this weekend - just in case!

Horby and Rik Peery like this.
  5. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    William Freeman and Horby like this.
  6. Horby

Horby Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Florida
    Does the vinyl need to be waterproofed as well? I have mostly vinyl

7. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Aug 1, 2014
    It doesn't need it, but IMHO you should put some kind of protestant on it. I use either Protect All (Wal-Mart) or an automotive vinyl protectant (Meguiars, etc). It will help protect your vinyl from dirt, tree spa, bird poop, UV, etc. I do the vinyl bunk ends and trim at least twice a year. It only takes an hour or so to wash the vinyl and put some protection on it.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 2:59 PM
    Orchid, William Freeman and Horby like this.
  8. William Freeman

William Freeman Member

May 5, 2018
    Richburg SC
    Yep, the vinyl is waterproof, buts its enemy is the sun (UV). At the minimum, wipe it down with Armour All. I'm sure there are better ones out there (as mentioned above) though. Don't forget to do the spare tire cover and propane bottle covers (vinyl) also. You SHOULD put something on the vinyl after every wash. Also tire foam on the tires after every wash will help with the UV. I sprayed that on and let it sit while I was doing other things so that it penetrated as deeply as possible - then came back and wiped it off.

9. Horby

Horby Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Florida
    Sounds good! I am very fortunate that I can keep mine stored in my garage out of the elements, but I'll still protect the tires