Waterproofing

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Horby, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Horby

Horby Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Florida
    So I've been doing tons of research so I dont have to keep asking questions but there aren't any definitive answers anywhere because every article has it's own opinion. I'm about to clean my vinyl and canvas for the first time and was wondering do I have to waterproof it every time after I wash it? Any advice will help!!!

landon6062 likes this.
  2. William Freeman

William Freeman Active Member

May 5, 2018
    Richburg SC
    I just did the Sunbrella on mine a few weeks ago. I bought the Arcadia a little over a month ago and have been chipping away at repairs and maintenance that the previous owner didn't do. Anyway, the canvas was slightly dirty so I cleaned it with the recommended Woolite mix - it cleaned up nicely. While I was scrubbing (with a soft bristle car wash brush), I noticed that the Sunbrella was not repelling the water - it was soaking in, in a lot of places. After the washing, I let it dry in the sun. The next day I sprayed it down with 303 Fabric Guard (avoid getting it on the vinyl as it states that it can discolor it). When I was satisfied that I had good coverage, I let it dry until the next day. I tested the water repellency - it just beaded up and didn't soak in. Should be good to go for a while now. I see some folks saying they do it every year - I'll just check mine when I wash it and re treat if necessary.

That was the long version. Short version - NO, you don't. Normal washing shouldn't harm the repellency EVERY time. If you use the bleach cleaning method (deep clean), it might be a good idea to go ahead and do it. Check to see if water soaks into the canvas - if it does, treat it.

landon6062 and Rik Peery like this.
  3. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    Used the 303 when we had our pop up, agree it did well...we had one corner that would leak during a hard or prolonged rain, dude camping next to us told me to try some bees wax; found some small blocks at Wally World, got it warm & rubbed it into the outer, & bingo it worked for us...good time during the wash to see wazz up inside

landon6062 and Horby like this.
  4. William Freeman

May 5, 2018
    Richburg SC
    I will have to put that on my list for our first trip this weekend - just in case!

Horby and Rik Peery like this.
  5. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    William Freeman and Horby like this.
  6. Horby

Horby Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Florida
    Does the vinyl need to be waterproofed as well? I have mostly vinyl

7. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Thousand Oaks CA
    It doesn't need it, but IMHO you should put some kind of protestant on it. I use either Protect All (Wal-Mart) or an automotive vinyl protectant (Meguiars, etc). It will help protect your vinyl from dirt, tree spa, bird poop, UV, etc. I do the vinyl bunk ends and trim at least twice a year. It only takes an hour or so to wash the vinyl and put some protection on it.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  8. William Freeman

May 5, 2018
    Richburg SC
    Yep, the vinyl is waterproof, buts its enemy is the sun (UV). At the minimum, wipe it down with Armour All. I'm sure there are better ones out there (as mentioned above) though. Don't forget to do the spare tire cover and propane bottle covers (vinyl) also. You SHOULD put something on the vinyl after every wash. Also tire foam on the tires after every wash will help with the UV. I sprayed that on and let it sit while I was doing other things so that it penetrated as deeply as possible - then came back and wiped it off.

9. Horby

Horby Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Florida
    Sounds good! I am very fortunate that I can keep mine stored in my garage out of the elements, but I'll still protect the tires

10. tcbrady

tcbrady Member

Apr 30, 2018
    Central Pennsylvania
    New to the pop up camper scene too! The first thing I did when we purchased our "new to us" Flagstaff MAC 228 was a deep clean. I had been using 303 Aerospace Protectant on my vehicles for a few months now with happy results so I applied this to the vinyl. Boy was I surprised how clean and new the vinyl looked! I'm planning to re-apply the 303 every few months just to keep it well protected. The one thing I was hesitant about was using the Fabric Guard on the canvas portions of it, glad to hear someone else tried it before me! LOL. I was told to use OxyClean on the canvas to clean it up, has anyone else done this? We have some slight staining on one - two of the canvas sections and would like to clean it up prior to applying the fabric guard.

11. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    I also spot clean with Woolite. After it's rinsed and dry I will spray 303 Fabric Guard on the area I just cleaned. As for the top of the bunks. I use 303 vinyl cleaner then I use 303 Protectorant.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    Rik Peery likes this.
  12. Horby

Horby Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Florida
    So only 4 of my windows are canvas and the screen is blocking me from putting any elbow grease on it at all when washing with woolite and the only way to really get to it is zip it down and clean from the inside which I'm not happy about since Its tough to do that. Any ideas on how not to make a mess inside while I do this.

13. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    I cleaned my inside vinyl by using the top/lid from one of our large plastic storage containers as a "back". It allowed me
    to put pressure where it was needed and the lid was more of a mobile "table top". It's a smidgeon awkward, but
    worth the effort and it helps prevent putting too much strain on seams/zippers/etc.

Rik Peery likes this.
  14. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I took the easy way out hehe...

I use 9X12 tarps on both tent bed ends on my trailer... Use stretch rope to hold all in place...

Cuts down of light inside the trailer during the day and adds some UV protection on things... Abit cooler inside during the day and abit warmer during the night...

Doesn't bother us on how it looks but I imagine others would think it is a bit leaning towards a Jed Clampett setup...

My 2008 Fabric looks like brand new today...

My cheap GIZMO...
    [​IMG]
    Roy's image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Rik Peery likes this.
  15. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Thousand Oaks CA
    I've done it by pulling the bed off the bunk, unzipping the window, putting a towel under it and washing it on the bunk.
    Waterproofed it the same way.

16. silvermickey2002

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    After posting to this conversation yesterday I decided to clean the four corners of the Sunbrella material where rain travels down the most and leaves "gray streaks". After the storms rolled thru yesterday I figured it was the best time to do this. Broke out the Woolite and a small brush and cleaned the four areas. The streaks are now gone and everything should be nice and dry when I get home today to spray 303 High Tech Fabric Guard on those areas. I did notice that the rain wasn't beading up on most of the Sunbrella while it was raining so I will do the whole pup since I have about 1.5 gallons of the stuff. As for the window flaps, I will do each one separately with a large piece of plastic under each one.

17. Horby

Horby Member

Jun 22, 2018
    Florida
    Which Woolite did you use the laundry detergent or the fabric cleaner

18. silvermickey2002

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    HaHa...good question!!! I think it's fabric cleaner. But not exactly sure. I would have to check when I get home.

19. silvermickey2002

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    ok, I use the Woolite Delicates Laundry detergent.

Horby likes this.