Wayne National Forest - Iron Ridge Camground

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by cuisinartoh, Oct 31, 2015.

1. cuisinartoh

cuisinartoh Member

Jul 3, 2015
    I thought I would leave my first "scene report". We went to the WNF last weekend and had a great time. I left the family at home and went with a long-time high school and college buddy. The Iron Ridge campground is much more secluded than the Oak Hill campground on the other side of the lake. At Iron Ridge, it was mostly pop-ups, hybrids, and smaller TT's. I don't recall seeing any Class A's. There is water and electric (either 30 or 50 amp) at many of the sites. The sites further back in the park are higher up on the hill and for tents only. The ones closer to the entrance are more for campers. All the pads are pretty level and of varying lengths. We stayed on site 16 with my 2004 Fleetwood Utah. That pad is better for shorter trailers as the level part isn't that long. Most of the sites are cut into the side of a hill or on the edge of one. So some of the sites just don't work to well if you want to extend you awning and set up and outdoor kitchen.

The Oak Hill campground was more crowded, the sites closer together and more in the open, and seems to cater more to the RV and large TT crowd. Some of the sites were right out in the open and I think you could reach over and wipe the nose of the people in the next trailer over. That kind of closeness is not for me.

As usual, I drive around the campground(s) and make note of sites that would meet my needs and work well for my setup. I'll even share :)

Iron Ridge campground
    12 - tolerable
    11 - tolerable

Oak Hill campground
    White oak loop - good for bringing della roccos
    Post oak loop

I don't plan to stay at Oak Hill but I'd go back to Iron Ridge in a heartbeat. Having city water at the site is so convenient. The sites do not have sewers.

I hope this helps someone!

2. edh

edh Active Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Thanks from NE Ohio, very helpful!

3. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    We have camped in both CG's. Oak hill we thought had better baths, Iron Ridge more wooded. We got hit hard with tic's at Iron Ridge. I think the big TT and class A got use to going to Oak Hill when they were redoing and closed Iron Ridge for a few years and that is why you don see them in that CG. They like to hang with their friends.

Very nice trails, Late fall is the time to be there with the changing of the colors.

Hard to get to the CG and not much to do around there, but we have returned there several times.

4. MaryG

MaryG New Member

May 14, 2017
    Site #2 at Iron Ridge is our favorite too! Been camping at that site since I was just a little kid.

5. GPatriot

GPatriot New Member

Feb 15, 2016
    Do you have any opinion on Oak Hill/Scarlet Oak loop/Site 23? I haven't been to this campground yet and am going in blindly.