WDH help

Discussion in 'Etrailer.com Trailers and Towing Forum' started by Drvred, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Drvred

Drvred Member

May 3, 2017
    Is there an issue with using too big of a WDH?
    I have a 1998 Mesa, which is approximately 2100 lbs loaded according to the sheet in the door.
    I am pulling it with a FWD 2.0 Escape, which pulls it OK, but has traction issues off road.
    I have an old Reese hitch, with 10,000 pound, 750 TW bars.
    I have to buy the links to go on the trailer, so I can buy bars if I need to.

Thanks

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    First, can your trailer support a WDH? Not all of them can.. Second, can the Escape use one? Not all unibody vehicles can...

If yes to both of those, get new spring bars more suited to the GVWR of the trailer. .

3. mandinga

mandinga Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Ottawa, ontario
    Running too high a WDH will cause a very rough ride. The spring bars need to have flew to them when going over uneven ground. Too high and it's like having a rigid connection which will be hard on your hitch and trailer. I towed with a Ford escape a few years ago, the factory hitch was not rated for it, so I had another 2" aftermarket hitch installed that was rated. I was able to get a WDH rated for 5000lbs trailer, 300-500 TW. Worked great. Once I got my pick Up truck, I didn't need it anymore.

4. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

May 15, 2014
    Sarasota, FL
    OK, I've been meaning to ask this for a while, so forgive me if I hijack a little..

How do you know if your hitch is rated to a WDH?
    As part of a safety recall, the local Jeep dealer took away the nice big solid hitch that we had fitted, and installed one of their own - how can I tell if it can handle a WDH?

Ian, the man from Scotland

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Usually pop-ups with the "C" channel frames cannot be used with a WDH at least without reinforcing the frame. Also as mentioned, read your manual for your vehicle in regards to WDH as that also may be a problem. At least with my vehicle I also cannot use a WDH as it could damage the frame.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    Look for a tag on the hitch, should give weight limits with and without a WDH... I'm surprised they replaced it.. everyone I know who already had a hitch installed, had it inspected and if it was beefier then the recall called for the dealers left it alone...

7. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Something will bend, either the torsion bars or the frame/tongue.