Weight distribution

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Spridle, Oct 3, 2016.

1. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    I disagree on the "you should be ok" part of this reply. There is no way that I would consider towing this without a WDH. Steering and braking are definitely going to be affected once the back end of his vehicle drops. It's just not worth the risk as far as safety is concerned. Maybe I'm more cautious than others but when it comes to putting myself or others at risk I take it as priority number one. The op should find a way to acquire a proper hitch before even attempting to take the trailer home. Just my [2C]

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    . Jash1178 read your manual for your TrailBlazer, as I found out in my research some SUVs (mine is one of them) cannot use a WDH. So this may also be a problem if your vehicle falls in the same category. For your sake, hopefully not.

3. silverfz

silverfz Member

Aug 8, 2013
    You can get a WDH from harbor freight too that will work. If you can afford it please get even a cheap unit. the issue here is your TV weight is low enough that you will face sway conditions with the front end so light on the highway. You will also experience chatter and wallowing in the front end as the front end lightens up.

is there no way you can borrow a friends truck or something for now ?.

My tundra has a front lift and already 100k so the rear shock were shot. so even with a expensive wdh [the dealer wanted 1000 till i showed him i can get it online for 500- then he sold it for 500] the ride was horrible. till i put HD rear shocks, airbags to counter the front lift kit. i run my airbag very low as add on support to the shock as my TT is 7500 and the cab has 4 adults and a big dog .

4. jash1178

jash1178 You can't fix stupid!

Nov 21, 2010
    North Carolina
    I picked up a used but nice WDH made by Reese with sway control. 10,000 pound weight limit...I think Im good. Thanks all for the input.

durhamcamper likes this.
  5. jash1178

jash1178 You can't fix stupid!

Nov 21, 2010
    North Carolina
    I found this is my manual for my TV:

If you’ll be pulling a trailer that, when loaded, will weigh more than 4,000 lbs. (1 816 kg), be sure to use a properly mounted, weight-distributing hitch and sway control of the proper size. This equipment is very important for proper vehicle loading and good handling when you’re driving

jmkay1 and silverfz like this.
  6. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    Glad to hear you made this decision! Second guessing just doesn't cut it when it comes to safety!

Yak likes this.
  7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    I saw 2 tall propane tanks, one A/C mounted on roof and many more feature inside the camper. not a dry weight.

Let's treat dry weight as FAKE News. ( gonna start a thread on Fake News now)

Adam H likes this.
  8. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    Western NC
    You saw pics of Jash's not ours..... Ours actually was 15Lbs under the listed dry weight when we hit the scales on the way home. Empty propane tanks with a battery.

Durham.... My statement is about him getting the camper home, and I did recommend him getting a WDH.
    I understand his position and concerns and glad to see he found a WDH he could acquire.
    His truck is rated to handle the weight, little closer to the upper limits but hes not overloaded.

9. Adam H

Adam H Active Member

Aug 22, 2015
    California
    Would be good if jash1178 posts his towing experience when he gets it home.

10. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    South Carolina
    excellent demonstration.. thank you