West Virginia Boondocking

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by campwaraksa, Jul 15, 2017.

1. campwaraksa

campwaraksa New Member

Jul 31, 2016
    SWPA
    We were thinking of taking a day trip to scout out some possible spots in West Virginia and was hoping someone may have some advice on some nice locations. We have done the National and State forest campgrounds and private owned campgrounds this past year (newbies to popups) and we really love being in the forest vs the commercial campgrounds. We really wanted to try a few times this year boondocking but we want to do a dry run prior to be sure we don't get lost or break any laws by being in the wrong area.

2. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    keeping a eye on this thread myself

3. MrsSquid

MrsSquid Member

Aug 31, 2016
    Virginia
    You might try the Dolly Sods area in the Monongahela National Forest. I'm not sure I'd tow much of anything on those roads, but you might be set up for off-roading. The views from the top are amazing, but with the branches on the trees all in one direction, it can get pretty windy.

4. joet

joet Active Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Gandy Creek has dispersed camping. Its between Whitmer and Spruce Knob. Or you can always find a site at Spruce Knob,,,this time of year its practically empty. Its a lot quitter than the Sods

5. joet

joet Active Member

Mar 16, 2011
    There is a large open field used for dispersed camping on Dry Fork Rd. It is accessible from Whitmer, Glady or US 33. From 33 take FS RD 14 to Dry Fork RD.From Whitmer( Rd to Spruce Knob) then right over the hill, you go past the Sinks of Gandy. (Gandy Creek goes under the mountain), or from Glady take Elliots Ridge to FS 14 then to Dry Fork Rd

6. threebeachboys

threebeachboys Member

Jul 18, 2005
    freecampsites.net
    campendium.com
    rvparky.com

7. kreeves

kreeves She and her two dogs

Dec 4, 2016
    West Virginia
    Our parks are beautiful, fall is what I'm looking forward to.