What do you do with dishwater?

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by Daisy on my toe, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Priceless! [LOL]:laugh:

We have a 32 gallon grey water tank that weighs approximately a trillion pounds when full. We usually tow it to the dump station. However, once we broke the rules and dumped it in the woods. We really had no choice because we forgot the other hitch, that we can tow it with. The one we had on the van was way too high to tow it.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  2. McCampers

McCampers New Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Dishwater contributes to bacteria and disease if not properly handled. It is simple to make a gray water filter using pvc pipe, rock, sand and charcoal. If you are throwing your gray water out at least run it through a filter. It takes no extra time and leaves your favorite spot in better shape for your next visit and for other campers that enjoy the same spot.

3. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    Or just use a funnel and a coffee filter, bag the coffee filter in the trash after use.

In our case the dog considers it a privilege to thoroughly clean the dishes before washing. The wash water is dumped in the grey water sump, dump station or toilet, in order of preference. If none of these are nearby it gets scattered in the brush. The rinse water is saved for the wash water of the next batch of dishes.

Orchid likes this.
  4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Our grey water is actually pretty clean. We don't wash dishes in it. It's just toothpaste and some hand soap. But, we always dump in the septic. Just that one time we had to lighten the load in the woods.

5. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I have two 7.5 gal Aqua-tainer totes sitting under my sink hose connections on my OFF-ROAD Camper... When one fills up I will switch the drain hose to the other container and haul off the full one...

Some Camp grounds have a designated dump spots. Others I just dump down the camp ground toilet... Also some sites post it is ok to pour gray water around the trees away from the camping spots...

One thing I watch for is to never allow my gray water go directly into a stream...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  6. McCampers

McCampers New Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Roybdaddy that is our exact set up for our graywater. We do boondock alot where no disposal is available. Youtube had some good videos on cheap graywater filters so I built one. When the aquatainer is full I attach it to a short hose then to the filter. The water comes out crystal clear with no odors and we dont have to leave camp. Now the thetford tank we just wait and empty in the toilet at home.

7. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    If they would dump the grey water on the generators a lot of us would be happy.[}:)]

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I usually dump in the CG dump area I have a 15 gal. honey wagon that I use, once I used it to put the campfire out as there was no place to dump.

9. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I never thought about a gray water filter. That's a good idea.... Gonna have to look into that.... Thanks for the tip...

Sometimes we are so far back in the woods so we just dig a hole in the ground away from the camp spot. When we leave we always fill the hole back up with dirt... Most often however there is a primitive vault toilet setup on the way in so I always note where they are located... We also note where we can get fresh water and if it is all in walking distance I will use my folding two wheel cart to haul off the grey water and bring back some fresh water in a jeri-can I have...

Sooner or later however I am making a trip back to a country store somewhere to get my 5-day coleman ice chest replenished. I am also going to look into an portable ice cube machine. Walmart has one that looks promising It is easier to find fresh water close by then driving 20 miles to a country store somewhere... Got plenty of Battery Power and also carry a 2KW Generator secured in the tail gate section of my truck...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

Being an avid tent camper from the 60s and 70s I have been there done that already haha...

Roy Ken

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. McCampers

McCampers New Member

Oct 16, 2016
    Roy: We have a Emerson portable ice-maker we take on occasions. It does amazingly well. We only use it when we are at an electric site or on our champion 1400 watt generator. Generally when boon-docking we use the champion generator as a battery charger and make ice at the same time. Not sure how many watts it pulls but is well worth the investment. Ends all those trips to the store just for a bag of ice.

11. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    The only gray water we have when not hooked up is dish water. We wipe all our dishes before we wash them to eliminate as many food particles as possible. This usually leaves us about 2-3 gallons of gray water. If there is a gray water dump drain we will use it. If not, it's used to put out the campfire at night.

12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    When we began camping, almost 30 years ago, in many places broadcasting the dishwater over an area was the usual method of disposal, unless there was a designated sump or sink. Over time, as campgrounds got busier and methods updated, that is usually discouraged or prohibited.
    We now have an on-board 30 gallon gray water tank, which makes things a lot easier. We still use the gray water bucket for dishwater, if we're washing dishes outside or needing to extend the capacity of the tank. Depends on the length of stay and the available facilities for dumping gray water.
    Friends stay in one campground in AZ (near Flagstaff) which is covered with volcanic cinders. There, you are supposed to toss the water over the cinders - they act as a filter of sorts, and it takes stress off of the sewer system.

13. kikimom

kikimom New Member

Sep 12, 2018
    Kansas City metro

14. kikimom

kikimom New Member

Sep 12, 2018
    Kansas City metro
    If you use dishwater to put out the fire how do start your fire the next day?

15. tombiasi

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    With dry wood?

16. kikimom

kikimom New Member

Sep 12, 2018
    Kansas City metro
    In a wet fire ring?

17. tombiasi

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Did you sleep through fire building class?:smiley:

Sjm9911 likes this.
  18. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    I dump several buckets of water on my fires at night prior to turning in.. Usually less then 6 hours later I have another fire going.. Never have an issue starting them.. Even last weekend at home had two days of rain and about 6 inches of water in the firepit but less then 12 hours after the rain stopped I had a fire going, using some fairly wet rain soaked wood too.. As long as there is no puddle of standing water, a fire can be started..

19. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    My pop up came with some store bought firestarters, so I used them. They atually work really well. To be honest , I'm thinking of getting some for home for the fire place, they work that well.

20. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    I make my own forestarters, using wood shavings from the planer, cheeap dollar store candles and cups like the ones restaurants use for ketchup. ..

jnc likes this.