What do you tow with?

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Rinstah, Sep 4, 2017.

1. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Jun 8, 2012
    Having towed a Roo 233S for 4 seasons and knowing your stated family size I wouldn't touch it with anything less than a Suburban or Expedition EL, if those aren't possibilities then a full size 3/4 ton van. You will need the interior space and the longer wheelbase will help significantly with stability

JPBar likes this.
  2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I tow our 2016 Coleman CTS 16 FB tongue weight 550 LBS with a 2004 Ford F-150 5.4 V8 factory tow package I use a friction sway bar and have never noticed any sway even without the sway bar. ( I use it because had one)I have the WD hitch but have never used the bars.

3. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I am in the process of evaluating my options to go grey or dark. After much research I settled on a new TV recently and picked up a 2009 Chrysler Aspen 5.7 AWD. Has an 8800 lb tow capacity which is more than enough for the 6,000 lb range I am looking at. It will also give me 4x4 for a couple scout trips where it would have been nice to have last year. I have a WDH and sway bar that I got the year before as well, just waiting for a trailer to bolt it onto!

Obviously I got mine used as they only made the Aspen from 2007-2009, although its sibling the Durango was 2004-2010. Mine had every option I wanted, so it has the towing package, hitch and heavy duty service group. Admittedly I am a Mopar guy so I was looking harder at their offerings. I no longer desire a pick up so that was out, and I really didn't want a Suburban or Expedition. The Aspen was the best compromise I could find and so far I have been very happy with it.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I have a Toyota 4 runner with a 5000 tow rating towing a 3600 gross popup so in full camp mode I'm about 3000. I tow a lot in the mountains and can tell you with this setup I would not want any more weight behind me. I have no problem on interstates but it does slow up on the steeper inclines and can only imagine how much more difficult it would be with essentially a brick wall behind you. That wind drag can make a trailer feel like it weighs more. My parents have a 4 runner v8 with a 6500 and tow a 25' TT not sure on weight but they hate the set up. They do not feel comfortable towing it. The wheel base is just too small for that size camper. They regret their decision to buy that size camper. On paper, yes the 4 runner can tow it, but not comfortably. If you tow in the mountains you do need to pay more attention to your weight and leave more play in your numbers.

5. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    Whatever you decide to buy, I wouldn't even consider anything with a towing capacity of 4500 lbs minimum. You stated the trailer to be 3200 lbs.......add in all the passengers, gear propane etc and you are well over the usual 3500 lb limit on most smaller SUV's and minivans. The closer you become to max tow capacity, the harder it is on transmission and drivetrain etc. Just my [2C] though.
    I tow with a full size truck myself.......did the van thing for a couple of years and wasn't really happy.

6. Rinstah

Rinstah New Member

Sep 4, 2017
    We really don't want another popup, but a truck won't work for us. Our SUV is our main family vehicle and I really don't want to have a truck as the main vehicle. I guess more research is required before we sign on the dotted line.

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I don't think you necessarily need a truck, but need to look at large SUVs and not the small or midsize vehicles. Something like the Expedition, Suburban, Sequoua etc. If you really only want a midsize SUV then I personally wouldn't want a camper with a gross weight of much more than 3600. Especially if you tow in the mountains and that's assuming you are still good in the carry capacity numbers of your vehicle. So yes, you can still tow a hybrid with a midsize SUV, but need to be mindful of weight and don't fall for the dry weight being the real weight, because it's not, it can weigh more than you think.

JPBar and RockyRoo like this.
  8. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Good advice^^^^^

9. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    And some vehicles in that class have limitations on the trailer frontal area(sq ft).

10. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    2016 Dodge Ram, overkill for what I tow but I like the truck. Makes packing everything a breeze.

Attached Files:

Mazauk75 likes this.
  11. jeicher

jeicher Member

Sep 17, 2011
    I Have a Starcraft AR-One 15RB. The GVWR is stated as 3200 lbs. and am presently towing with a Ford Explorer 3.5L V6 w/factory tow package (5000 lbs. max). Works well on the mountains of PA & WV. Previously towed with a older V8 Explorer but with the upgraded transmission the newer V6 tows better.

12. Rinstah

Rinstah New Member

Sep 4, 2017
    The GVWR is 4500lbs. The trailer is 21 feet long.

13. bikendan

bikendan Member

Feb 26, 2012
    well, if you don't plan on EVER getting a bigger/heavier trailer, a v-8 SUV would work fine, if it has the factory tow package. a Tahoe or Expedition or Suburban.
    you can get 20mpg highway with the newer ones.

BUT if there's a chance that you may go bigger in the future, you might want to get a better tow vehicle.

14. Rinstah

Rinstah New Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Hopefully not! We weren't planning on upgrading so soon this time but I've reached my fill of camping in an 8' trailer with three kids and a dog!

RockyRoo likes this.
  15. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Jun 8, 2012
    . "And that is where it all started" is what was heard around the campfire 6 years and 2 more campers later. Take it from experience, save yourself a bunch of money and just get the 1 ton diesel now!

OK seriously, with your family the only real option here is a large SUV or full size van. That said, if you aren't opposed to used vehicles and can find someone willing to part with theirs (good luck with this part) you might be well served to find someone willing to part with their 3/4 ton Burb. Plenty of seating room along with lots of storage space and can handle most trailers you would dream of strapping behind it. If you want to go extreme a diesel Excursion would work but seeing one of those for sale is even more rare than a 3/4 ton Burb.

16. SlavCo

SlavCo Member

Mar 16, 2016
    I tow my 5100 lb hybrid with a 2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L diesel with no issue. That also includes 2 adults, 1 kid and 3 small dogs :) The Jeep does great with small hills but I imagine it would struggle somewhat in the mountains. Top it off I get an average of 16mpg towing and 23mpg for everyday driving, diesel is the way to go. Although gas is much cheaper in the US than up here in Canada so the fuel economy might not play as big of a factor for you :)

17. Rinstah

Rinstah New Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I'm in Canada too :) gas prices SUCK lately!

18. SlavCo

SlavCo Member

Mar 16, 2016
    No kidding eh! At least diesel didn't go above $1.05 during the recent spike, but gas did hit $1.35 here. That would have hurt having to fill up a 110L tank in truck!

19. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

Mar 27, 2015
    Michigan
    If I might weigh in a bit....personally i wouldn't tow a TT/ Hybrid with anything less than a fullsize PU, SUV, or Van with the amount of cargo your gonna be haulin. Sure your gonna bite the bullet on fuel economy. But your gonna be a whole lot happier in the long run with power and comfort. The rugrats are gonna get bigger the RV's are gonna get bigger and the stuff you want to haul along is gonna get bigger. I been doin this for 40 yrs. That being said you need to figure how much towing will I be doing? every weekend? short hops long hops? the variables are endless. For your situation you need a TV that's gonna get the job done with the least amount of stress. A 2wd full size SUV or Van w/ v-8 w/minimum of 343 gears would be the best fit. No reason you shouldn't get 18 to 20 empty or 12 to 14 haulin ( wind and Hills less). conclusion> don't try to put 10 lbs of shit in a 5 lb sack.

JPBar and RockyRoo like this.
  20. Mazauk75

Mazauk75 Member

Mar 17, 2015
    This is precisely why DW and I upgraded to a hybrid. 3 kids and 2 adults in a '90 Starcraft Nova was not working out anymore. My hybrid dry weight is 4400, gross 6200 and I pull with a Ram 1500 with 5.7L Hemi, which is also available in the Durango. A Durango with hemi and tow package, as well as the newer (2013 and newer for both) Grand Cherokees are rated at 7200 lbs towing. Little close on the numbers for my liking, but doable.