What food item has unexpectedly become a camping staple for you?

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by CamperChrissy, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lol, better reason to bring it along, to deter and distract!

Orchid and BikeNFish like this.
  2. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

I have tried to do the same for a while, but I got a little more serious after a recent visit to my physician. We camped a couple weeks ago and didn't take along any Oreos, candy etc. It was definitely a change and I had some serious withdrawls.

In its place we've been bringing along Cuties, which are small Mandarin oranges. They're easy to peel and taste great.

FYI: When DW makes the apple crisp referenced above, she uses half the sugar mother used to us.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    neighbormike, Sjm9911 and BikeNFish like this.
  3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

anything made in a pie iron works for me especially the poor mans cake

neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Member

When my son was a teen, about 20-plus years ago, he and I did a father-son camping trip to Colorado, where he was born. When we got home his mother complained that I had ruined him because he would ask for Dinty Moore beef stew and fried Spam sandwiches. Now he is a vegan. Go figure.

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I always worried about that when my daughter got older she wouldent eat animilas because she liked them too much. Its funny we bring them to zoos go look at the cute animals, and then try to force them to eat meat. Last year in the supermarket, i was the proudest dad ever when my daughter said said to a lady shopping " Did you know that pig is the tastiest animal in the world" and went on to explaine bacon , pork chops and ribs came from pigs!
    *off topic but had to share anyway*

6. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

Our camping staple is chili.
    When we first started out tent camping our boys were very young, 6 mos to 4 years. We also would squeeze in a camping trip every couple of weekends during the warmer months. This meant leaving after work on Friday evening, get to the CG an hour or two later and setting up tent/camp, feeding the boys and getting them settled for the night. We knew we weren't going to want to cook dinner for us, so I would make up a pot of chili in the cast iron dutch oven at home and have it hot when we got ready to leave the house. I'd pack it with lots of newspaper to keep it hot while we traveled and it'd still be hot by the time we got done setting up camp.

We also did the Dinty Moore Beef Stew and slices of bread and butter, camping is the only time we have it. And Chef Boyardee Beefaroni. Again, only time we'd eat it. What I like about those foods for camping is we could keep them in the can and heat them up in a pan of water. Easy clean up. ;)

Orchid likes this.
  7. JWeible

JWeible Member

PopTarts. Our kids are not allowed them at home but get them as an early breakfast while camping. They get up so early I’m not ready to cook yet. So they get PopTarts and then a real breakfast later.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  8. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Laugh all you want, but this is a holdover from my Scouting days....I always throw in a few packs of ramen noodles....9 out of 10 times, they get thrown out later in the year, but they're a cheap & easy meal for someone that forgot their food. You wouldn't believe how many Scout campouts I've gone on that someone forgot to bring their food...lol

HappyTraveler and Garrity like this.
  9. cam_1100

cam_1100 Member

Not crazy at all! Breakfast burritos are one of our staples, too! The first night, after all the work of setting up camp we like a nice easy meal for supper, so we cook brats over the campfire because they're simple to prepare and easy to clean up...don't even have to use plates or utensils! I always cook a few extra later in the trip we can chop them up and mix them in with some scrambled eggs then throw them in a tortilla with some cheese and hot sauce and have a nice easy breakfast, too.

We use tortillas a lot because the don't take up much room, they pack flat, and aren't likely to get smushed like bread. Besides burritos, you can use them to make sandwich wraps, pizzas, quesadillas, and toast them on a griddle or over the fire with some butter, cinnamon and sugar.

Karen in Iowa likes this.
  10. Garrity

Garrity Member

Our staples are homemade, smoked salsa and breakfast burritos. I made the salsa once and it disappeared real quick at camp. I now make a hot and mild blend to cater to everyone the night before we leave. All fresh ingredients and a little salt. We tend to camp with a few families, so each family usually takes a meal or two to cook. We make our breakfast burritos on the camp chef with the flat top that covers both burners. We use 1-2lbs bacon, 1-2lbs country sausage, hash browns, 1 yellow onion, 2 bell peppers (usually yellow and orange), and eggs. We dice up all the veggies the night before and cook the bacon. Helps to speed up cook times and have less of a mess to clean up at camp. Once everything is cooked, we slide it to one side of the flat top and warm tortillas on the other side. Shredded cheese and the salsa make up our toppings.

cam_1100 likes this.
  11. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I can't imagine the "warmth" and "interesting smells" your pup accumulates over the following days.[LOL]

Sjm9911, HappyTraveler and J Starsky like this.
  12. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

We got a mickey waffle maker and have those special waffles only when we camp.

13. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

Beef skirt steak and chicken breast fajitas. (The meat), once cooked it goes into all sorts of stuff. Fajitas for dinner, Fajita omelettes for breakfast etc... Fajita pizzas...

Jalapeno Vennison Sausage. We can straight up grill it, slice it up and use it with Red Beans & Rice, or Gumbo, cook it into a Bratkartoffeln mit kraut... And honestly, my wife isn't a big fan of bratwurst, so I am settling for vennison sausage... Not a bad compromise.

14. Wakita46

Wakita46 Active Member

Orange Juice. I rarely drink it at home but I find it is tastes great when I pull it out of the cooler any time of day.

15. HappyTraveler

Well, that was in our tent camping days and it wasn't bad until they opened their sleeping bags.
    It was much worse when we went camping with the Boy Scouts; they'd try to out do each other.
    Kind of gives a whole new meaning to the fresh air usually associated with camping. ;)

BikeNFish likes this.
  16. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

And makes for potentially fatal experiences around a campfire ALA Blazing Saddles...

eoleson1, HappyTraveler and Sjm9911 like this.
  17. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Hot cocoa! I have all the different flavors: snickerdoodle, white chocolate, mint, caramel, butterscotch, double chocolate. I have at least one cup every night before bed.

With the clipper, since there is an oven, I always bring a tube of chocolate chip cookie dough. Another nighttime favorite.

Spaghetti is always a staple item - so easy to make.

For my trip to the ocean, I am making kebobs. And a faux-shrimp pasta dish (I'm a veggie).

Fajitas are a favorite, as well as tacos. And grilled cheese sandwiches.

I always have some candies for the drive there and back. Necco wafers, starburst, goodnplenty, tootsie rolls.

18. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

for my kids too!

19. HappyTraveler

I had forgotten that from when our boys were in Scouts and I'd take the two Scouts in charge of that month's camping trip to the grocery store to shop for the outing. Absolutely their favorite thing! Have no idea why, but maybe it's their undeveloped taste buds. ;)
    Good memory! Thanks!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  20. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

No laughing here. I like to use the roasted chicken flavor Rahman and throw in cut up leftover chicken fajita breast and some veggies to make a sort of make shift pho.

Someone else mentioned spaghetti however the subject of the thread was unexpected foods that became staples. I've done spaghetti with meat sauce on camp outs for so long as nothing unexpected about it it's a great way to feed a fairly large group for not a lot of money. Back before I met my wife I used to camp with a singles group with a lot of single parents and we would make a giant batch there would usually be 2 or 3 people working in the kitchen and one person would be making the meat sauce the other would be making the salad and a 3rd person would be making the garlic bread and boiling up the pasta. It would usually be batches big enough to feed about 20 people period of the way we did it made it cheap and easy. Each person could probably eat well for less than $2.