What glue to use to glue styrofoam to aluminum?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by HamFam81, Jun 6, 2016.

1. HamFam81

HamFam81 #boymom who loves to camp with the family

Jun 6, 2016
    We have our pop up camper pulled apart and redoing the ceiling bc of water damage, what glue do we use to glue the new styrofoam back to the aluminum ceiling? [PUC] Here's a pic of our current mess [:O]

Attached Files:

2. Barefoot311

Barefoot311 Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Both liquid nails and locktite make a product for styrofoam. I have used both with good success but for the price, I would stick with the cheaper liquid nails. It felt like it held better quicker. Both have lasted without reason of concern.

And awesome progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    LockTite PL Premium or PL 300 will do the trick. I prefer PL Premium because it's more versatile so you can use it almost anywhere and because it sticks like poop to a wool blankie once it sets up.

4. edh

edh Active Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Gorilla glue has a sort of new adhesive out that is touted as suitable for all construction materials including foam. Am wondering if any has any experience with it yet?

5. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Gorilla glue works on styrofoam but won't stick to HDPE and other soft plastics very well. PL Premium does. Gorilla Glue foams up when activated with water, this isn't always an issue but it does make a heck of a mess when it squishes out out joints. Very similar to the yellow expanding foam you get in a spray can.

It's good for some things but PL Premium is my construction adhesive of choice.

6. HamFam81

Jun 6, 2016

Update on my progress: The PL 300 is eating my styrofoam, I have not found the premium kind yet but I'm still looking

7. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Weird, PL 300 shouldn't hurt styrofoam at all, it's what the manufacturer claims it's made for.

I've used PL Premium myself, so I can say for certain that it won't harm soft white styrofoam. Is that what you're using?

Test it on a small area before you go ahead and pump out a full tube though! Better safe than sorry.

8. HamFam81

Jun 6, 2016
    Ok let make sure I'm using the right stuff then bc knowing me I'm way over in left field LOL I'm going to post a pic of what it did to the styrofoam and the PL 300 I used.

Attached Files:

9. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    I'm not a huge fan of spray adhesives anyway and I'm doubtful it'd hold up well in the long term.

If you're not worried about returning it, you can certainly try gluing a small piece of styrofoam to some plywood and see what it does but don't get your hopes up. [;)]

10. HamFam81

Jun 6, 2016
    So what you are talking about is not a spray??? What does what you use look like??

11. mau5_h3ad

mau5_h3ad Member

Apr 24, 2015
    Definitely go with a foamboard caulk-type adhesive. I'm rebuilding my roof aswell and started gluing foam to luan last weekend. Skin is this weekend. I have used both the Liquid Nails foamboard and the Loctite foamboard adheside. Both have different dry times, the Loctite is very fast setting whereas the Liquid nails can sit out for longer. For the ceiling to skin, I would go with a longer set time, unless you have 3-4 people dumping glue on your roof at the same time and can get it all spread in a few minutes. Good luck!

12. edh

edh Active Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Thanks for the info on the gorilla glue, Dubbya, very helpful

13. popupcommando

popupcommando New Member

Jul 31, 2016
    I am testing Liquid Nails Polyurethane adhesive and Dap,s Strongstick , niether has eaten the styrofoam yet. Still going to get some Dap or other brand Water based contact adhesive which is what i,m finding the industry uses. Let you,s know later.

14. gonefishingdude

gonefishingdude Member

Jun 30, 2016
    This afternoon I glued my XPS polystyrene foamboards to the aluminum skin of my roof (XPS = Extruded polystyrene - not Expanded (white) like the original - XPS is more water resistant and is stronger). I used Lepage PL 300 foamboard adhesive (same as Loctite PL 300 foamboard in the US). It does have a pretty fast set time.

I underestimated the amount of adhesive: for about 40% of the roof I used 4 tubes (regular size) - then ran out of my supply. I used a v notched metal trowel to skin the foamboards with glue, one piece at a time, then inserted them in their slot against the aluminum roof skin - and applied gentle pressure from top to bottom, side to side, to make sure all areas made contact. Then I placed some heavy weights on top of the foam so it would continue being pressed against the aluminum while the glue sets.

Sorry no pictures for now - I will post an update tomorrow once I finished gluing the remaining foamboards.

15. popupcommando

popupcommando New Member

Jul 31, 2016
    I had very good success with the Liquid Nails Polyurethane adhesive. Wood stuck to poly styrofoam very well and the one foot square piece i glued to the aluminum i had to use a flat shovel to remove. A viable option but my water based contact cement is coming on order Tuesday. iwill let you know.

16. gonefishingdude

gonefishingdude Member

Jun 30, 2016
    After using both PL 300 Foamboard and PL PRemium (by Loctite / Lepage) last week to glue my new XPS foamboards to the Aluminum skin, here are my observations:
    • PL 300 is thicker and cures somewhat faster
    • PL 300 is more difficult to spread out thin - I used a V-notched metal trowel
    • PL Premium is much faster to spread out evenly
    • PL Premium did not eat into the foam when I tested it on a piece of scrap foamboard

I would recommend people use PL Premium for an easier application process. I know it cures VERY hard and creates a very strong bond. Maybe a too rigid bond for foamboards in a roof, but only the future will tell if this creates a problem.