What have you used for extra bed supports?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Dimples, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Dimples

Dimples New Member

Mine is a 1994 starcraft starflyer and the manual says both bed ends have a max of 500lbs each. I want something for extra support any ideas would be greatly appreciated we are new to pop ups since this is our first one.

2. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

You could add additional supports, however it's not going to increase the capacity of the beds. Much of the weight of the beds is on the sliding rails. Adding additional supports under the bed will not do anything to increase the strength of the rails. That said, it certainly can't hurt to have extra support if you are close to the rated weight capacity. However I would stay within the manufacturer specs.

Edit : I'm also surprised that it's only 500lbs...most seem to be rated about 1000lbs.

Dimples and PopUpSteve like this.
  3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

That was written back when Americans were healthy. [LOL]

neighbormike, arge and JiffyPopJunkie like this.
  4. Dimples

Dimples New Member

5. Dimples

Dimples New Member

I know thats what ive heard to.

6. Dimples

Dimples New Member

Lol

7. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

A log.

Honest, here's a field repair I made in the because the door kept moving a 1/4 inch on the last big trip we took with the pup. Bunk weight from my now adult sized teenage daughters was affecting the door opening because of the short wall. My frame is fine, the wood is fine, there is just enough deflection from a 1984 if you press in just the right way... So, I picked up a spare tire jack at a local junkyard around Two Harbors that week, and used it to adjust pressure upwards on the bunk. Best $5 ever.

While I have cut a 2x4 now, I am calling this a permanent repair and part of this StarCraft's rigging & raising system.

upload_2019-4-23_8-17-23.png

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    BikeNFish, Dimples and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

I used stuff from around the house to make mine. A 2x4 on the front since it’s a constant distance from the tongue and an adjustable Harbor Freight truck cargo bar for the back since it has to go on the ground. Both have a 18” 1x6 on top to distribute the weight.

Dimples and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. Dimples

Dimples New Member

10. Dimples

Dimples New Member

What i thought was odd is that one bed is bigger king i think and either a double or queen on the other end and manual says 500lbs each bed end.

11. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have a Harbor Freight ratcheting load bar that I carry. It has come in super handy when a lift spring popped out and I needed to support a corner while I fixed it, and I have used them to help stabilize/support the front bunk which seems to have more play than the rear. I think they would be fine if you used two to help supplement the existing bunk supports. Although they have a wide contact pad, I might consider getting a larger board or something to help further spread the contact patch out a little.

Dimples likes this.