What is your favorite OHIO State Park and WHY?

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by Mickeyrv, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

Jul 22, 2012
    [TV] [HYC]
    My favorite Ohio State Park so far is Fort (Lake) Loramie. This park has very nice bath houses, flush toilets, 600 ft. beach with a very nice sandy bottom, Lake front and Non Lake front sites. Dump Station, Play ground, good fishing, and is close to where I live.

2. joeb1kenobe@gmail.com

joeb1kenobe@gmail.com New Member

Jul 18, 2013
    Sycamore State Park. Very close to my house (1/4 mile down the street) Has several easy hiking trails, a couple of fishing spots, and sledding during the winter.

3. taxguy

taxguy Sandusky, OH

May 15, 2009
    Sandusky
    Can't say I have a favorite yet. We've been trying to visit different parks and have liked most we've been to. Geneva is nice and you can ride bikes to the beach and into town (if I'm remembering correctly). West Branch is nice and has very modern bathrooms. Beach is on the opposite side pf the lake though. Most recently we stayed at Findley State Park and were impressed with its mountain bike trail. Looking forward to many more comments!

4. SUPERKSR

SUPERKSR New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Haven't been to all of them - not even close. But I would think it would be hard to beat HOCKING HILLS S.P.
    Nevermind the ammenities, Mother Nature made this (these-it actually is several parks) park AWESOME.
    Fantastic hiking and scenery.

5. Bando

Bando Is it the weekend yet?

Jul 24, 2013
    We're trying out Hocking this weekend.
    Our favorite so far (and we've not been to very many) is Delaware - for site size, privacy, and generally not being crowded. Dillon and Deer Creek are also nice.

6. strangebird22

strangebird22 Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Have not been to them all, but one our favorites so far is Cowan Lake SP. It's about 1.5 hours from home. It has one section that has lots of tall trees=lots of shade, clean shower houses, a well stocked commissary/camp store, lots of big sites, and the lake is nice.

We usually camp there during the week so its nice and quiet. We did camp there this past labor day weekend and it was packed full, but still pretty nice except for the guy right next to us who decided to do his best Paul Bunyan impersonation by dragging a big branch out of the woods and start whacking on it with a hatchet at 7:45am the morning we were leaving [:(!]

7. chippers

chippers New Member

Jun 17, 2011
    I like all of them listed so far. Lake Loramie is terrific alternative for us to the craziness of campsites at Country Concert each year.
    Cowan Lake and Stonelick Lake are also very nice, and a bit more rustic. They're both closer to home for shorter weekend trips.
    My absolute favorite so far is Hocking Hills. Stalk my posts for my review of this place. Love it there and can't wait to go back this Fall.

8. Opa

Opa New Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Harrison Lake is another good site. Small campground, extremely clean. Not a lot to do other than swimming at the beach(not so great) or fishing. Not a lot for kids to do but is great for adults who want a quiet clean place to stay.

9. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Jul 13, 2011
    I've only been to one of them so it has to be my favorite right? It is Hocking Hills. Amazing scenery-amazing place!!

10. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Hocking Hills SP is my favorite. Love the entire area.

Maumee Bay SP is my second favorite (close by). It has a little of everything (golfing, boating, fishing, swimming, beaches, biking, board walk, nice facilities). A perfect place to introduce camping to people.

11. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    The only park we have been to is Cowan Lake SP, stay in the cabins a few time while racing at Willington. They were OK, and the place looked interesting, just didn't spend any time in the park....Met some guys there that stay a few times a year for fishing trips and they loved the place.

12. mamabean5

mamabean5 Active Member

Oct 7, 2009
    Only been to 4 so far, but Hocking Hills is one of my favorites in the tri-state area.

13. chucknbob

chucknbob New Member

Jul 9, 2013
    Another big fan of Cowan Lake. It's quiet, fishing is good, and the sailboats on the lake are nice.

14. nana2030

nana2030 New Member

Apr 22, 2014
    My favorite state park is Harrison Lake. It is great for fishing and hiking and we also like how quiet it is.

15. JustMePatrick

JustMePatrick Member

Jun 24, 2013
    They only one we've ever camped at is East Harbor State Park near Sandusky. I would like to try Delaware and Indian Lake a some point since both are closer to us.

Sent from my HTC One M8 via Tapatalk.

16. Laney A

Laney A My crew: Me, hubby and our 3 K9's.

Oct 28, 2015
    Midwest
    East Harbor State Park as it's along Lake Erie. It has shade and a well stocked camp store and we enjoy site seeing in and around the area. And added plus is that the Bark Until Dark Dog Park is nearby.

17. jennylou

jennylou New Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Ohio
    We've stayed at Findley (closest to home, so several times) - but I have decided I'd only go back in the fall. It's too hot and the water is too far for the kids - especially if you're camping with a dog and your DH goes to work for the day and meets you in the afternoon. The sites are bigger and shadier in the non electric section, although, there are some good sites in the electric section. The shower houses are clean. The park is clean. The lake is a bit gross for swimming in.

We've also stayed at Maumee Bay a weekend in September, and it rained all weekend. So, we didn't get to visit any of the water activities, but the sites were clean, as were the bathrooms. Not much in the way of shade, however.

Finally, we camped at Lake Guilford last July 4th and it was fun. Small camping area and we were right on the lake. It's unique in that people live/have houses all around the lake too, so it's not straight camping in a state park. However, the lake was clean, the kids enjoyed the small swimming area and the shower houses were clean. We enjoyed fishing from our campsite.

gameofender likes this.
  18. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    Hocking Hills ..... Great trails, I think the best in Ohio. I think there are seven that are great

Mohican .... for the river

West Branch ..... Has the best showers

We have camped at about 16 of the state parks... Overall Ohio has some very nice state park. Not disappointed with any.

theseus likes this.
  19. Laney A

Laney A My crew: Me, hubby and our 3 K9's.

Oct 28, 2015
    Midwest
    There are many beautiful state parks in Ohio. One on my favorite, less than 2 hours from our home is John Bryan State Park which adjoins the Clifton Gorge State Nature Preserve. The park is at 3790 State Route 370, outside Yellow Springs, Ohio. I normally start at the state park and follow the trail into the preserve. I've included a few of my photos from there.

We usually stop here on the footbridge to photograph the Little Miami River named a National Scenic River in 1973.

385687_365753073507654_1014838410_n.jpg

The area here is a moist environment filled with cedar, hemlock, maple and yews. I love to hike this park after a heavy rain as the arborvite along the river collects water and you can watch the water cascade over the bottom branches into the river.

I've hike this park in different seasons but fall is always my favorite as the colors are brilliant.

miamir.jpg

The gorge itself is post-glacial. The slump blocks along the John L. Rich Trail are enormous and the trail climbs in and down over the rocks. As you contine to descend deeper into the valley, there appears to be a 15 degree temperature drop. And as the gorge narrows the river begins to flow more rapidly.

1.jpg

The gorge trail passes by a number of rapids and Amphitheatre Falls. Here a small stream plummets over 20 foot into the gorge.

af.jpg

In many areas, through the preserve the dolomite and shale bedrock overhangs have eroded and crumbled to the floor of the valley.

cg1.jpg

The Blue Hole, a mirror-like pool in the Little Miami River was the setting of a famous 1851 painting by Robert S. Duncanson and is a favorite spot for many visiting this park.

Attached Files:

• af.jpg
      af.jpg
      File size:
      63.3 KB
      Views:
  20. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    I have heard good things about John Bryan State Park. Would have camped there, but no showers.

We are going to go to Findley State Park in August. Will try the non-electric sites.

Below are the Ohio Parks we stayed at: WE have found good and bad things with all the parks, some we revisit which I think indicates they are our favorites. Any with write up are parkes we revisited several times:
    ALUM CREEK
    CAESAR CREEK
    COWAN LAKE
    DELAWARE
    DILLON - Very nice kayaking lake - Never have seen so many Blue Herons
    EAST FORK
    FORKED RUN
    HOCKING HILLS - About once a year we go there - best scenic hiking trails in Ohio
    LAKE HOPE - Very mature trees in the camp grounds, nice hiking
    MAUMEE BAY - End of May for the "Big Bird" fly over

MOHICAN - Nice camp Sites on the river - nice hiking
    MOSQUITO LAKE
    PAINT CREEK - Love the Kayaking and the rock formations around the lake
    SHAWNEE
    STONELICK
    TAR HOLLOW

VAN BUREN
    WEST BRANCH
    WOLF RUN - We like the kayaking

PYMATUNING - Can't get pass feeding the Carp and the ducks walking on the Carps back at the dam