What is your favorite OHIO State Park and WHY?

Discussion in 'Ohio' started by Mickeyrv, Jul 26, 2013.

1. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Feb 6, 2007
    Centerville, OH
    Love both of them.

In the fall we often go to John Bryan SP. More primitive but close to home...

2. jennylou

jennylou New Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Ohio
    We don't enjoy Findley in the summer. It's our closest state park and we camped there several times last year, but the kids are bored to tears in the campground without any water source in it for playing. We would drive to the beach area and they would get in the water, but that water is nasty in August. Thick, green sludge, to the point that I wouldn't let my kids get in. Oh, and the beach is covered in duck poop. We hiked, and we fished, but we made a general decision as a family not to camp in the summer there again. We will camp in late spring and fall, as it's otherwise a nice park. If you're not concerned about being super hot and not having a spot to cool off in, you'll be fine. We do love the sites there, just wish there was something that would make cooling off better within the campground - a splash pad, another beach (you can access water from the trails, so it could be done).

We really loved Mohican. We went to Maumee Bay last September, it was a rainy, cool weekend. The sites aren't as treed, but they are private. I can't speak to summer camping, but other than what could be lack of shade from fewer trees, it looked like access to the lake, even though you had to drive/bike to it, would be nice.

We have a trip planned to East Harbor State Park this weekend, albeit a non electric site because when I was booking the only electric sites left were not shady and I like shady sites. We have a battery and power adapters that allow my husband to run his sleep apnea machine. We've not tried a fan, that would be the only electric that I would miss beyond his apnea machine.

We've gone to Guilford Lake State Park, super small, only 41 sites. It's interesting, it's not super woodsy, but it's small and it has a small, clean beach within the park. The kids enjoy it and it works for our needs, although I'd love it to be more woodsy. It's treed, but the lake is surrounded by homes and the campground has a private campground abutting to it.

3. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    Findley State Park. We stayed at findley state park the first weekend in August, First time there. Nice park, larger than normal ohio camp sites, Mature trees. We stayed on the electric side. Good thing very hot weekend. Not much to do around there. It about 85 miles from the house. Showers not the best. Its a keeper.

East Fork State Park we stayed at, on our way back Canal Campground at Land Between the Lakes, for the eclipse. East fork has lots of CS, our loop had a very nice shower, we consider it the second nicest shower of the 25 or so ohio state parks we have stayed at. It comes in behind west branches designer showers. We did not find anything special about the park. Would stop if in the area, but would not make a special trip. It is a very big park. Added after the post, DW just pointed out we stayed at East Fork before per her notes. LOL Must have been the same as this stay. "nothen special or bad about the park to remember"

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  4. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    Burr Oak State Park. We camped there this past week for 4 days, first time there. Maybe 70 sites, with about 15 electric sites. Electric sites are close together. We camped in a non-electric site, which was more well spaced out. Our site had a nice view of the lake. The shower house was old, but very clean with flush toilets. Other toilets in the CG are pit toilets. Good hiking, not much to do in nearby towns. We will be going back.

5. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Feb 28, 2016
    Illinois
    For all the folks who love Hocking Hills, any advise on camp sites? I am thinking of going next spring.
    I prefer a great view and no close neighbors.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017