What mods have you made on your TV??

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Haybale, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    As it says, what have you modified? Tuners, cams, gears, suspension, LED's, or ???

I tow with a non-typical TV, a 1997 Saturn SL2, 1.9L i4, 5 speed OD.

The only real mod I have done is I gasket matched the intake ports to the intake manifold. It made a big difference in the power below the curve.

I also added a 20in LED light bar (currently removed, but 2 bolts and 2 wires it can be put back on easily)

0323171623.jpg

2. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    Over the years....tons....Had a Toyota 4runner that we rebuilt from the ground up, Springs, Poly bushings. ported polished intake and exaust, cam headers enlarged throttle body....Huge improvement in performance, didnt know the Pup was back there.
    The last truck I hunted for months before finding a Silverado with the aluminum LS6 based Corvette motor. Then after some tweeking with a HP tuner program.
    Im dragging around a 5500lbs shoe box and getting 13 MPG... 22 empty IF I keep my foot out of it.

Haybale likes this.
  3. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    Leer fiberglass tonneau cover, non-slip bed mat, Access truck bed storage brackets and EZ retriever pole, Goodyear Wrangler AT Kevlar tires. Airlift suspension air pump installed in bed of truck, Firestone air bags in the suspension.
    Back seat dog hammock for the dogs; nothing more needed.

Haybale likes this.
  4. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    The Jeep Liberty had a set of Airlift bags added to the rear suspension, and an 8 gauge electric line was added so Jeep alternator could power the reefer while underway. Kept using E rated tires- some of these Rocky Mountain rocks are sharp! Added a WDH, which improves control on washboard roads.

Had to rebuild the front suspension of the four door Dodge Dakota when I bought it, went with heavy duty components. Will soon install HD rear shocks. Added an 8 gauge line here too. Moved WDH over, had to reset for a level. Again, E rated tires. ACCESS fabric toneau cover and reach pole are great additions.

Haybale likes this.
  5. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    I put a set of mud flaps on the rear wheels to keep the spray down somewhat. I also upgraded my standard glowplug relay with a 200 amp one so I get more contact point to transfer juice to those amp hogs during start up. I also added a rear view camera which can swivel almost straight down, which I use to back up to the hitch... that also required a new radio head unit with screen to work well so I could see. I invested in a grille cover... solid quilted for the winter, and mesh for the summer to keep the bugs out of the radiator. Those were a good investment. I also upgraded both my headlights and fog lights to LED bulbs. Much hotter color and better visibility in winter. The best mod for camping however is a slide out bed platform for the truck! That has been a life saver. I made it myself, and it works great and allows me to get stuff all the way at the front of the bed without having to climb up in the bed, bust up my knees, and crawl out again. Cost me like $150 total to make and I wouldn't have a pickup without one ever again!

Haybale likes this.
  6. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    2005 Dodge Magnum RT - Mopar hidden hitch, K&N cold air intake kit, Magnaflow catback dual exhaust, Superchips Flashpaq, Yakima roof crossbars and Rocketbox, couple bike mounts when I need them instead, and a rear hatch strap on bike carrier for those times when the pod is on the roof.

2009 Chrysler Aspen AWD Hemi - already had the factory tow package, just finished adding some Thule crossbars and mounts, wind deflector, Thule hitch mounted bike carrier. Planed - Diablosport tuner, cat back exhaust, new intake system, cam and head upgrade.

Midland portable CB and Wilson magnetic mount antenna used in both cars on road trips. East bound and down!

Haybale likes this.
  7. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    Been awhile since I built performance engines if that is the question of the post??? . My backup TV a 2001 toyota sienna I had to do a little to feel comfortable for towing. DIY: I setup the soft rear end of the mini van for towing with two additional springs in the rear (air bags and set of tembrem) the idea was if the airbag developed a leak on a road trip the tembrem's would kick in. I changed the shocks and struts for better performance on bumps to carry the load of the trailer. The TV is level with or without the trailer, with or without the WDH.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Haybale likes this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Boston, MA
    Nothing significant, really. Replaced interior bulbs with LEDs. Added an OBD2-Bluetooth adapter to monitor temperatures, etc via TorquePro.

Haybale likes this.
  9. 300Z

300Z Member

Oct 18, 2014
    Just got a used 2017 Frontier crew cab. Used with 180 miles lol. Any way added a ARE topper with Yakima rack, Timbren springs and that is it so far.

Haybale likes this.
  10. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Thinking about adding a 55" tv inside. [:D]

Fless, tenttrailer and Haybale like this.
  11. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    Not much compared to most of my previous vehicles. Backflip tonneau, Yakima rack, aux battery and 12v outlet in the bed to run a 12 volt fridge. Planning a solar system with the panel mounted to the Yak rack and a bigger fridge.

Haybale likes this.
  12. tenttrailer

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    I forgot to mention I put in a 25K BTU B&M double stacked trans cooler and changed the trans fluid to sync fluid.

Haybale likes this.
  13. tenttrailer

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    halford, you could but that up right behind the front seat and you would not even know you have kids back there. lol

14. XKPin

XKPin There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse

Oct 28, 2016
    Gloucester, Virginia
    I used to do some drag racing 'in class.' In class, you do everything you can to get the most HP out of your stock engine. Rebuilding an engine from the bottom up makes a world of difference. If you're not that enthusiastic, maybe try this modification if your vehicle does not come equipped with one. It was worth 15-HP for most drag racing applications. In the past I had installed a windage tray (keeps the oil pan engine oil from dragging on the turning crankshaft as the engine rises from the horizontal) on my older moderate HP tow vehicles when they had trouble with significant inclines. It may just be a TV phycological boost, and I have nothing but imperial observations to indicate success, but it seems to have added HP for extreme inclines. . . . or just maybe made me happy after all the effort :). . . ? and that should count for something, shouldn't it :rolleyes:?

Haybale likes this.
  15. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    I installed a factory brake controller. It's nice to have it well integrated into the lower dash and cool to have visual indicators in the dash screen. My larger trailer has hydraulic brakes so did not need a brake controller in this truck until the Aliner.

With about 10Klbs of tow capacity, I haven't had to worry about power towing the Aliner ;) but I did add a front hitch to bring the bicycles along without having to lift them in/out of the covered bed.

We also have a rack for carrying a scooter or small motorcycle up front, but I haven't gotten around to downsizing to something that will fit up there. My wife is not fond of motorcycles, so no hurry. ;)

We sometimes use a 12V cooler in the truck - most often in the winter on during our long drives south - when our first day's drive is a long one. We start with the 3 way fridge turned off (since it is already freezing). If our remote fridge temp monitor in the truck shows that the fridge hits 40F, we turn it on to 12V for the remainder of the ride.

Haybale likes this.
  16. tenttrailer

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    Just had to replace the brake control i bought in 2011. It was a primus IQ. Bought a P3. The IQ started hsve poor performance with the manual brake control lever.

Haybale likes this.
  17. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Not many mods to the TV specifically for camping, since most are also useful around town.
    2017 Silverado 1500:
    Added bed rug, it helps with dust intrusion on back roads, makes it easier to slid totes, and makes it a bit quieter.
    Flip tonneau cover - for security and to keep things drier. When it's raining, it sounds like it did in our popups, similar roof make-up
    Steps/running boards - so I can actually get into the truck without twisting my creaky self
    Cross bars - the adjustable cargo ones, inside the truck bed. Mostly used around town, but on some trips they are helpful to keep the totes in the section where we want them. On most trips, they'e not needed, the totes themselves keep it all contained, i.e., it's packed.

I wish we still had the roof top Thule cargo box, which we used on camping vehicles for 20 years. We'd have to use clamp on bars, and probably use the small box (we still have both that we've had). We have enough cargo space, I just would prefer to have the out-of-the-way, well-enclosed, attic space for some things on longer trips - laundry, for example.

Haybale and Fless like this.
  18. Lug_Nut

Lug_Nut Member

May 29, 2016
    Mt. Wachusett area, MA
    Modifications to my tow vehicle were made more for other purposes, but they work well for towing, too.
    I replaced the dual-mass flywheel with a single mass unit for reliability inprovement at the expense of a bit more vibration at idle. The clutch was also uprated for the added torque of the chip tune to come later.
    Top strut mounts, lower control arm mounts, and rear axle trailing arm mounts were exchanged for polyurethane for better control when autocross racing. I don't have any sense of a downside except $, and the change in handling is well worth the cost.
    Front struts and rear shocks were upgraded to Koni's FSD. That was $$$$, and it was hard to justify at purchase time, but I don't regret it. They are very 'soft', with little damping on fast jolts (pot holes, rail road tracks, and such), but are very firm on slow transitions. Rough roads are silk smooth, but there's no dip or side to side wallowing when braking or with rapid steering and direction changes. It's black magic, but it works.
    A "stage 2" tune on the ECU increases torque across the entire rpm range, and adds about 30% more power at peak, plus adds another 750 rpm before limiter is reached.
    A larger diameter exhaust and lower restriction cat help too, and let the turbo whistle just a bit at idle.
    Brake rotors are still stock, but the pads are upgraded and overbraid brake lines gives a less 'spongy' stopping improvement to compensate for the other improvements.
    While most of these mods were for performance in motor sport events, they help reduce the trailer wag-the-dog effect, and keep a reasonable power to weight ratio for towing up hills and when merging at on ramps.

19. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Member

Sep 25, 2016
    image.jpeg

20. xvz12

xvz12 Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    Wow, you guy's mods make mine sound tame...I put a pair of Monroe Load Adjust coil-over shocks on the back end of my TV, which stiffened up the ride just a bit, which I like. I haven't tried towing the pup with them on yet. I may have to get a 4" drop hitch, the pup was running just slightly uphill behind my truck before, & the coil overs have raised the back end of the truck about 2", & I'm sure it won't settle as much as before, so it may well end up riding more uphill than I like. I'd actually like to do a axle flip, & gain a little height on the pup, but the wife is mobility impaired, & can just barely get up the step now, so that's out.