What to do with pet while gone

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by mattlreese, Jun 9, 2018.

1. NothingsChocking

NothingsChocking Active Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Texas
    Why I agree with the point you are making in the case of a beloved pet, I don't see eye to eye with your analogy; I would leave a dog alone in the camper if I had too before I left a young human -- the value of the latter well supersedes the former, we must never forget that. With that said, there is no reason to ever put an animal in jeopardy and proper care is always necessary for the sack of a pet. Great post and question.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    To some, the animal is their kid, so they feel the same way about leaving a dog alone as others (like yourself) feel about leaving a kid..

3. kudzu

kudzu Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    My dogs are adults & for the most part I don't find it valid to compare them to human children. My adult dogs are much more mature, responsible and trustworthy than human children.

Jimtom and myride like this.
  4. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    Since we do a lot of camping, there have been many times over the years where we have listened to dogs bark off and on for hours inside a camper (usually usually a hard sided camper.) I'm sure the owners assumed the dog was absolutely fine the whole time they were gone.

We do not own dogs at the moment, but we love dogs, and my son and his wife currently have a dog that they bring most places. We were hiking on a trail in Shenandoah National park with them and their dog a couple of weeks ago and a huge german shepard lunged at their dog and the small woman walking it could absolutely not control it. It pulled her a few feet forward when it lunged at my son's dog and nearly nipped it. Scared the heck out of my son's dog. Her comment was simply 'don't worry about it, she's just playing, she's fine' as she struggled in vain to control her dog.

Unfortunately many dog owners expect everyone else just to tolerate their dogs behavior. I love dogs and enjoy camping with and next to well behaved dogs (we had an awesome miniature husky next us to a couple weeks ago, first time I have seen that breed) but I don't enjoy camping next to barking dogs left in campers.

landon6062 likes this.
  5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    This always comes back as the "its a dog not a person" argument. This isn't about equating an animal to a person - that's a subjective choice to be made individually. Rather, it's about the commitment you make to care for that animal or person. That commitment isn't less because it's an animal - you agreed to care for that animal when you gave it a home and it's your responsibility. No "it's just a dog" excuses to justify being less than committed to its health and well being.

myride likes this.
  6. Toedtoes

May 28, 2018
    California
    No bashing. I don't see much difference in using a doggie day care at your destination and a kennel back home. I wouldn't with my Bat-dog only because the kennel I take her to knows her and her issues and I have 40 years of trust with them (owner is a longtime family friend).

silverfz and PointyCamper like this.
  7. Toedtoes

May 28, 2018
    California
  8. Toedtoes

May 28, 2018
    California
    I just got back from a week camping trip. My dogs were on their leash the entire time. I did let go of the leash once when we were headed to the creek. It was rough terrain and with my dominant hand broken, I was holding them with my other hand. The strength just isn't there and after almost tripping, I let go for a second. It took them less than a minute to have jumped in the creek. Of course, they couldn't get back up our of the water due to the drop, so I had to get help from another camper. No more exploring after that - we stayed where I knew it was safe.

But, that is why I always have hold of them. Too easy for something to go wrong too quick for prevention otherwise.

9. NothingsChocking

NothingsChocking Active Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Texas
    No where in my post do I incline "just a dog" and such; you don't know me to say where my argument leads. I expressed my concern for pets in my post as well. If it was an argument on the human life over the pets I will stand by the human, but for the sake of trying not to hijake this thread with defense of my opinion -- I submit; it is a point that has weight in philosophical opinions and I don't care to impose my will on anyone. Happy camping to you and your part Newfie.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  10. Toedtoes

May 28, 2018
    California
    I wasn't directing that at you as an accusation, but just clarifying my post.

11. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    South Carolina
    Well lots to learn from this thread.. Thanks everyone..

um guess I need to check into DOGGIE day-care near our campgroud choices..

One of the reasons we choose to get a camper was so we could take our dog/babies with us..

Even so I am a bit nervous about the whole idea..

Number one..

what is a baby to me, would not seem like a BABY to anyone else..
    Rescued animals: mixed dalmatian/ boxer.. and mixed Pit bull/lab..

Dalmatian mix is SUPER SMART...and SUPER Obedient
    Pit/lab mix.. GENTLE GIANT.. 70lbs.. a SWEET HEART, but dumb as a rock, and unfortunately CLUMSY.. she doesn't understand that she is NOT a lap dog..

I certainly don't want my babies to be seem Threatening to anyone else..

And I have "wondered" about leaving them in the CAMPER for some thing as simple as having DINNER at a restaurant..(guess we need to practice that at home)

Just note I am an OVER PRECAUTIOUS? person..

I Doubt I would enjoy myself leaving them for any reason: IE: worrying about the A/C, someone stealing my dogs.. dogs ripping camper walls or perhaps even barking.. I just don't know, very anxious about it all.... ugg..

Thanks for the thread and the ideas..

Dan from Troup likes this.
  12. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    I know the feeling and we don't leave ours either unless we're visiting someone in the family and then they'll be inside a home. Otherwise Toby goes everywhere we go, including going out to eat. If it's not pet friendly we won't eat there and if we're out of options, we'll get take out and eat it in our vehicle. Toby loves this as he scores big time. [CK]This sometimes is akward and inconvienient but it's the sacrifice we make to keep him safe and happy and the benefits still outweighs the hassles. :p IMG_20171226_083015_033.jpg

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  13. Dan from Troup

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    IMG_20171225_090019582_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Toby our 6lb. Morkie and Penny our newest fur baby. Penny came into our lives as a rescue kitty as a Christmas gift to Deb.

happybooker1 and landon6062 like this.
  14. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    South Carolina
    Every time you mention TOBY my heart takes a Leap, .... I once had a "TOBY" a 5lb shih tzu, he was a DREAM BABY.. unfortunately he is not with us anymore, 5 years now.. But I still have moments of "grieving" over him..

15. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    South Carolina
  16. Dan from Troup

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Sorry you lost your Toby. This brings tears to me. They're all so precious.

17. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    South Carolina
    This is our rescues that we adopted as babies..

EMMA and PEEPS.. (odd name, I know, but there is a reason for that.. lol)

Attached Files:

myride and Dan from Troup like this.
  18. Dan from Troup

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Lap dogs? We have 4 others too, full size dogs that don't go traveling with us. The little ones like Toby are pocket size and can easily travel with us. Do you travel with yours?

landon6062 likes this.
  19. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    South Carolina
    Well.. they go places with us.. Lowes.. etc.

But we are COMPLETELY NEW to the camping world.. Never even stayed in a TENT.

SO this is a completely new experience for them and us...We do desire to travel with them!! in fact, I want to LIVE in a camper after my husband retires, but it would have to be much BIGGER than this one..

OH yes.. they are LAP DOGS..bed babies, snuggle bugs and much more to us..

20. Dan from Troup

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    They look like really sweet dogs. Do you have a local state park you can try out with your camper and do a test run?