What to get at Ikea or Container Store?

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by IdahoMountainGirl, Aug 14, 2018.

1. IdahoMountainGirl

IdahoMountainGirl New Member

Jun 17, 2018
    Boise, Idaho
    Hello! We just bought our first PUP last week. We purchased a 2005 Fleetwood Valor and are so excited to use it.

We are currently on a prescheduled vacation at the Oregon Coast (not with the PUP). We will go back to our home in Idaho through Portland where there is both an Ikea and a Container Store. I did not have time before I left home to measure any of the cupboards, drawers, or countertops, but I'd love to get some bins and storage items (or other things). We don't have those stores in Idaho, so I feel like this is a great opportunity. What things have you found useful at either of these stores? Anyone else have a Valor and found items that fit in the drawers or cupboards? Thank you!

2. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    Don't go hog arse wild buying stuff if you can help it, got a room full of stuff I "thought" I needed lol...

3. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    driveway camp first before you do wild purchases. Make a list of things you need.

PopUpSteve and Rik Peery like this.
  4. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Use it first and figure out what you need/want.

5. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    I found that using one of those plastic shelves with individual legs allows u to configure it to fit wherever you need it works well but cheaper at Wal Mart. Outside of that multiple sizes of plastic storage boxes from Tupperware sandwich size to shoebox containers etc are all handy for keeping things together. Just make a mental list of what you want to stay in the pup and where you want to put it. I have a flip over galley for example and that’s where towels, sheets etc goes because it doesn’t matter if it goes upside down

6. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Another vote for Camp Driveway before you purchase much.

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Camp driveway. Too easy to go hog wild in those stores as it is. I saw a spice holder at ikea that I thought for sure would be perfect for my camper. I bought it, and now it is just gaining dust. I don't ever use it. Seriously don't know what I was thinking there. Also found if you use the camper a few times, things you felt for sure would be no hassle, all of the sudden is.

Sjm9911 and Rik Peery like this.
  8. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  9. BayMom

BayMom Member

Jul 2, 2018
    Northern NJ
    Congrats on the new PUP. I kind of agree with seeing what you will actually use before going crazy with purchases, but since you're not near and Ikea I'll let you know what I have in my PUP from Ikea.

In my PUP I have a set of Ikea pots, that are not "camping" pots, but are a nice small size with 2 small handles (no extended handle), so they fit in my limited cupboard space (it's maybe 8 in across). It is a stainless steel pot with a steamer basket that I often use as my strainer too. There were smaller pots too to the set (I bought this years ago so it may have changed), but it's the 8in pot (largest in the set) that I use the most. The smaller 1 comes in handy if I'm heating sauce to go with pasta, or beans to go with hotdogs. I also got their cooking spoon, fork and spatula set (again for diminutive size that fits in my PUP drawers). I liked them so much I bought them for home too (we're close to 2 Ikeas). I also have their kid sized plastic plates, bowls and cups in the PUP for trips when we're being very green and don't want to use disposables. They're too small for steak and potatoes, but great for sandwich or hotdog meals.

I also like their rain ponchos. I don't keep them in my PUP, but have them in my Disney bag (pre-packed Disney items that I need for every trip). Their rain ponchos are in their travel section (in my Ikeas it's by the cafe) also in that section is a duffle bag that packs into a pouch. That is our PUP (and travel in general) laundry bag. The bag is washable, which I find key for stinky camping clothes, especially if you're not doing laundry daily. We use this for travel (not just PUP travel) too.

I'm sure other posters might bawk at this, but I also like their tool sets. They're small, and not overly durable, but it's a good starter set for items you don't want to pack into and out of the PUP for each trip. I started with Ikea, but my PUP tools are getting out of hand.

Last, but not least I like their self packing re-usable bags. They fold up to a 2x2 in square. I like them for sending my kids to the campground comfort station (bathroom, wash house, etc..) . And, they're washable :) They're also great grocery bags, but they really come in handy camping for a towel, toiletry bag and change of clothes, because my kids are not the best at juggling items on the trip to and from the shower, even if they're walking (not on a bike or scooter).

FYI, I don't like Ikea tupperware or any kind of kitchen storage containers. The lids never seem to fit right.

I love the container store, but I find them too pricey. Any shelves or storage we have (of which we have very few) came from Target, Kmart, Walmart of TJ Max.

10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    Slow down buying things you may never need. I have 2 big boxes of items that I thought I could not live without that stay in the corner to remind me to use my head for something besides a hat rack:) These boxes remind me that buying an item that I think I would need and use ain't necessarily so. Also remember the unit has a weight limit to consider.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
  12. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    I couldn't get the whole article to open, but did see the first thing on the list; excess canned goods.
    That's something we don't do, until we get where we are going; food shop. The way I figure why carry the
    extra load and have to worry about it making there safely. Plus, we don't often do large, grandiose meals
    on the road because most of the time, it's hot down here so who wants to make it hotter by cooking a lot?
    Now, the whole point to the camper was to avoid the eating out expense, for one, when taking a trip, but
    we usually do light meals. And, we only use our nesting cooking pots we had back in the tent days. They
    do stay in the pup, and of course we already have the basic staples in there like salt, pepper, garlic powder,
    grill seasoning. Camping without kids is a LOT easier, I tell you. Plus it cuts down on the "stuff". If there's
    coffee, sandwich meat/bread and chips, I'm usually set.

Rik Peery likes this.
  13. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I did mine with elfa. I really like it but I had a lot of the parts already from prior shelving projects in the house. However even when they do the elfa sale the overall cost is 2-3 times what you would pay for the cheaper shelving at home depot.

I agree with the others - camp driveway first. Figure out what you might need and make a list. Swing by Ikea and container store anyway and take pictures of everything you think you might need. Once you are ready you have a bit in excuse for a camping trip to head out in that direction.

14. chadster

chadster Member

Mar 12, 2018
    Utah
    When you are camping bring a notebook and have these lists:

What we need next time
    What we don't need next time
    What needs to be fixed

kcsa75 and Rik Peery like this.
  15. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Active Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Virginia
    Same here, there's a hard to see arrow in the middle of the canned stuff pointing to the right that'll take you to the rest of 'em, started getting a tad agitated wondering why the hay they'd put something up half arsed...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  16. JHOP

JHOP Active Member

Oct 6, 2017
  17. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    I have been thinking about adding drawers in cabinets...

[​IMG]

Rik Peery likes this.