What to use to remove old caulking on outside of camper?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by zinger60, Jul 2, 2011.

1. zinger60

zinger60 New Member

Our 2001 Viking is in desperate need of some outside cleaning and painting. All over the camper are dirty areas that I am assuming is old caulking but it feels gummy and kind of sticky. Wondering how to remove all that without scratching and damaging the body of the camper.

2. tsc

tsc Member

If you can peel off and edge. spray with WD-40 and peel it back/off.

3. tracker366

tracker366 New Member

I used a piece of Teflon shaped like a wedge to remove it then used a piece of rubber to remove any residue that was left behind.I must say it was the easiest way I have ever done it,it only took about an hour to remove,clean and re-caulk.

4. bonusbuilt1950

bonusbuilt1950 New Member

Ihad to remove all the caulk and silicone sealer ( one on top of the other! ) from my 96 Viking and I used the citrus based cleaner Goo Gone . It breaks the bond of silicone very well. Mine had caulk over silicone. I ended up removing a 1 lbs coffee can full of sealer from my pop up. I used a plastic putty knife (4 ) to scrape with. I re-sealed it with 3M 5200 fast cure marine sealant. Nice and dry inside now!!

Barry

5. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Get some 70% isopropyl alcohol from the pharmacy section at Wal-Mart (use to be less than a dollar) and give that a try. Should not affect the original painted surface - but going to a higher percentage of alcohol might.

6. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

scrape it off with a piece of wood that is semi pointed, but with no sharp edges. Then use a mild scuff pad with soapy water to remove the little bit that is left. Make sure to use the soapy water so you dont scratch the finish. Also, the 3M stripe removal wheel does a good job.

7. zinger60

zinger60 New Member

Thanks everyone.
    I think ours might have silicone also since it seems really sticky in most places and looks like over time, dirt has stuck to it. It just looks awful. Do I have to order the 3M sealant online or can I got it at a store?

8. mv520

mv520 Member

The descriptions above sounds to me like its [poly]urethane caulk - not silicone.

If so, here is a suggestion, but PLEASE PLEASE test it out in an inconspicuous place to make sure it does not melt or otherwise trash your roof/trim/paint, and use appropriate handling precautions. The suggestion is regular charcoal lighter fluid (or other volatile petroleum distillates). Dipped in a rag, you may find running it over the surface it magically melts the gummy surface, releasing the dirt and suddenly its white and as a bonus smoothed out if it was less than perfect before Also good for cleaning up residual gunk if your removing the old caulk. This worked like magic for me (not on a Viking - a Fleetwood with urethane caulk on an Aluminum roof). But again, PLEASE test and be safe - don't take my word for it!

9. bonusbuilt1950

bonusbuilt1950 New Member

I got the 3M 5200 fast cure sealant ( sets up in 24 hrs, non fast cure takes a week! ) at a local boat yard. None of the camper places here sell it. You can also get it online thru Amazon.com and other retailers on the web. Just google the name and you'll get results. THe only drawback to buying online is the crazy freight charges some want. Once you open the tube, you have to use as much as you can because it will cure and what's left in the tube is no good. I used it under my vent and the screws and it stopped my leak. Nice and dry inside now. It's expensive stuff, but well worth it. I'll never use a silicone based sealer again!!

Barry