What type of rivit help needed. Coleman/Fleetwood back panel

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by MNHep, Jul 4, 2018.

  1. MNHep

    MNHep New Member

    Apr 10, 2018
    Minneapolis, MN
    We are brand new pop up camper owners. This spring we bought a 2005 Fleetwood Americana Valor (I think same as Coleman Mesa?). Before we were able to use it, the life system broke. After watching the Carolinas Campers on youtube, we figured it out and got the lift system fixed. Thank you to Pop Up Parts and Carolina Campers! Our dilemma is what type of rivits to use to put the back panel back on. The video we saw said to use panel or split rivits. They don't look right to my husband. What kind of specific rivits have others used when attaching the back panel? We are anxious to get camping in our new to us camper.
  2. Raycfe

    Raycfe Waterford Ct.

    Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    I used stainless steel screws to replace the rivets.
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. wayoutwest

    wayoutwest Member

    Aug 23, 2013
    I just recently replaced some rivets on my old Coleman Columbia. A rear trim piece as the the old stainless steel screws kept backing out. I simply used a drill bit to see how big the original hole was, went to the hardware store to find pop rivets with that same shaft diameter, about 1/4"-3/8" long and used a hand rivet tool from HF. The HF kit come with 100 ast rivets (25 in 4 different sizes) but the size I needed wasn't in it. I will have to re-rivet how who front panel back on as I pulled it to grease up my lift system also.

    I don't think you will have to match the OEM sizes as its doubtful it will matter to anyone but you.
  4. Mogimus

    Mogimus Active Member

    Apr 29, 2015
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    I believe the rivets that come with the trailer are 3/16" stainless steel tri-fold rivets. If you have a pneumatic rivet gun, i'd use the same. When I re-installed the rear wall on mine, I used standard 3/16" aluminum rivets with a hand rivet tool and so far, haven't seen them loosen up or pop out.
  5. Fless

    Fless Active Member


    If you're going to re-rivet into ABS or other brittle material, you may want to use some of these expanding rivets: https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/123/3339/=1affgj9 and scroll down to the "Wide-Grip Blind Rivets for Soft Materials" section. I used the aluminum ones numbered 97545A080 when I re-did some attachments (e.g., marker lights) to the ABS on my '02 Cheyenne. You may need a different grip range. These are also called "exploding" "expanding" or "tri-fold" pop-rivets.
  6. GrueMaster

    GrueMaster Active Member

    May 22, 2013
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    I had an issue with my Coleman/Fleetwood Timberlake where the rivit holes either cracked or the rivits popped out of the ABS. To fix it, I bought a 6' length of aluminum flat metal from Ace Hardware, cut to length, and glued it to the inside of the ABS. Then used self tapping metal screws to screw it in place, with the aluminum strip acting to sandwich the ABS. Much stronger than the original, and a very cheap (~$10 US) fix.

    Unfortunately, the ABS covers are all but destroyed now. Replacing them with diamond plate this year. See my other post in the Garage.

Share This Page