What's the blue wire?

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Ironwindow, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Ironwindow

Ironwindow New Member

Oct 6, 2017
    So I know the black and white wire with the connector goes to the battery using the optional pigtail, any one know what the blue wire with the butt connector on it goes to?

It's on a 2000 coleman Timberlake. It didn't mention it anywhere in the owners manual and I can't seem to find a schematic for it.

Thanks in advance!
    [​IMG]

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Brake away connector would be my first thinking.

3. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    A blue wire is usually associated with the trailer brakes...

[​IMG]
    ETRAILER Source

However on pre-owned trailers it could be anything the previous owner wanted it to be haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    If the connector is not equipped for brakes it may actually be for the controller output.
    Needs to be traced out.

5. Ironwindow

Ironwindow New Member

Oct 6, 2017
    This is my fear... My only solace is that the butt connector appears to be well on up in age and has never had the other end crimped. I'm hoping it is for a breakaway box.

6. Ironwindow

Ironwindow New Member

Oct 6, 2017
    It has a 7 pin connector on it but that's a good observation, I'll have to check that out.

7. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2016
    King George, Virginia
    I sometimes find this ETRAILER.com wiring drawing for the typical trailers useful...

[​IMG]

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

8. Ironwindow

Ironwindow New Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Thanks!

9. etrailerJohn

etrailerJohn Member

Apr 19, 2016
    Wentzville, MO
    As mentioned, the blue wire is likely in place to carry the output voltage from a brake controller to the trailer brakes. If your camper is equipped with trailer brakes, you will need to install a brake controller in the tow vehicle to actuate them.

It's easy to determine if your camper is equipped with brakes or not. Look behind the wheels, and if you see a brake assembly bolted to the square mounting flange welded to the axle, and the hub features a brake drum, you have brakes.

If you don't have brakes, but wish to add them, use the link provided below to see an article that will help you determine what parts are needed.

https://www.etrailer.com/expert-160.html

10. Ironwindow

Ironwindow New Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Thanks for the reply.

I just finished installing my Tekonsha Primus IQ, derale transmission cooler, and tekonsha trailer wiring harness that I purchased from you guys.

Today I will install my airlift 1000 that was also purchased from you guys.

Love your company. It's service is unparalleled. I'm a mechanic but still find your installation videos very informative and helpful. I also love the prices.

Thank you guys for everything you do for your customers!