When closing the roof, do you undo the zippers?

Discussion in 'General Camper Setup / Take Down' started by Chrismtl, Jul 9, 2019.

Do you unzip the canvas when closing up shop?

1. Yes, every time.

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No.. why waste your time?!

11 vote(s)
    45.8%
  3. Depends on how I feel.

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

You are welcome.

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Nope, Don't see the benefit. Perhaps it depends on the manufacturer and the age of the camper since the material can shrink.

J Starsky and Chrismtl like this.
  3. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Age certainly drives my choice

Chrismtl likes this.
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

I unzip the bunkend windows about 1/2 way down as it seems to let some air out and makes it easier to collapse the roof.

Chrismtl likes this.
  5. bheff

bheff Active Member

Your age or the age of the camper?[:D][LOL]

6. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

BOTH!!!

7. benandbobbi

benandbobbi Member

my canvas must be way different. the only thing to unzip on my bunk ends are the windows which are still attached at the bottom. Unzipping these only causes more clumps of material. i lay the end canvas in on the mattress kinda folded like wrapping a Christmas present. As far as trapped air, my beds are slid in and the door is wide open before i start lowering and tucking. Maybe i just don't understand the question.

8. Chrismtl

Chrismtl Member

Most PUPs I've seen (actually, all that I've seen.. doesn't mean it's only like this) have zippers in the area behind the lift posts, that attach the bunk it the sidewall.

soft 17 likes this.
  9. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I've never thought to do it and don't even know if there are zippers there. Hmmm.

10. Chrismtl

Chrismtl Member

**Update** This past weekend I went out. I closed the trailer pre-trip with the zippers done up, set up and I find it is just one less thing to have to do. To popupsteve's point, I have noticed that they shrunk over time, and it was difficult/tight while zipping them, so I have less concern like this. I will continue not unzipping them! Thank you for all the feedback!

11. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

I looked at my zippers and they zip from the top to the bottom--which means they can't be reached form the ground. I was interested in seeing if partial unzipping would help with a spot we have that doesn't fold nicely, but that's not gonna happen!

I bet you'll enjoy not doing it!!

Chrismtl likes this.
  12. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We have never unzipped anything when closing up. We see it this way, if it's pouring outside rain can get in. When setting up in the rain then it can get inside. We have never had an issue not unzipping when closing up. Everything folds up just fine and roof closes with no issues.

Chrismtl likes this.
  13. Fil_Kay

Fil_Kay New Member

This is my first PUp, but I've yet to do try unzipping when packing up. I was actually looking at the zippers the other day though, although I mostly assumed they were for ease of assembly rather than for regular unzipping.

With that, my bunk ends are stowed and the upper half of the door is up before the roof comes down, so there's no concern with trapped air. So far, the canvas on the bunk ends has folded reasonably neatly while bringing the roof down, but we bring it down slowly and check the fold of the canvas a few times on the way down (about halfway down, again about 3/4 down, and finally about 4" from closed to tuck the edges of the side panel up under the roof). We fold the side panels in half, and the bunk ends get folded towards the middle as much as possible (like wrapping a gift).

Having said all that, we just placed an order for a new canvas, so we may consider unzipping it when stowing the trailer (providing it's not raining); if it's raining when we stow it, then we'll have to pop it up the first clear day to let it air out anyway, so we can unzip it at that point. However, I'd probably unzip it all the way, rather than the 3/4 of the way recommended in previous posts; the canvas might stretch more fully zipped, but I feel that the seams/zipper are less likely to get damaged by either having the tension spread across the entire length (if zipped), or by separating both pieces entirely.