Where do your dogs sleep?

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Gardener, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Hawk136439

Hawk136439 New Member

Sep 18, 2018
    Thanks yours are adorable!!

The maiden run of our PUP went well this weekend. I forgot to pack the Doxie crate so he shared a spot with our larger female since the small female would get cranky and beat him up.
    [​IMG]

She gets a little separation anxiety so I had to get creative keeping her in the crate when we went out to dinner:
    [​IMG]

Next on the list is figuring out how to keep the dogs quiet in camp because we really felt like "those people" with our dogs barking...

Oh and since you asked this is our Doxie Nugget:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    I use a spray bottle with water if Bat-dog gets over excited and won't stop barking. It works well with her, she'll start a beagle whine, but the barking stops completely.

The main thing I have found is the same with kids. As long as you make an effort to stop the "negative" behavior, people are understanding. It's when you just completely ignore it for hours on end that irritates people. I've had people apologize to me for "causing" my dog to bark, because they see me making the effort to quiet her down. One camper told me " she irritates you with her barking - we don't even notice it". So, just make the effort, don't leave them alone for hours unless you have proof they don't bark. If you do get a complaint, be understanding of their annoyance and don't go defensive. Explain you're working on it and show the actual effort of doing so.

The person who still complains is never going to be happy. So do your best and if you get positive feedback from the majority, you're doing things right.

Hawk136439 likes this.
  3. Talyho

Talyho New Member

Oct 1, 2018
    Middle Tennessee
    We have a 10-year old, 90-lb Boxer who normally sleeps with our almost 13-year old son. They’ve been buddies since our son was 3 and our furbaby was 9 months. So, when we took him camping over the summer, he stayed with us inside the pup. He either slept on the bed with my son, on one of the couches or on the floor. I think the couch was his favorite spot as it was near my son, but still had access to the A/C (my son prefers it warm, so had the air blocked to his sleeping area). That week was hard on him, though, so we’ve decided to only take him as a last resort. Thankfully, we’ve got an awesome backup option for him!

4. lilys

lilys New Member

Oct 9, 2018
    Dogs usually climb into your bed.

5. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    My two sleep in bed with me while traveling. At home, each has its own designated spots. Cockapoo likes under the bed (go figure) and MinPin mix has a soft chair. They don't like to be very far from me when traveling away from home, though, so end up in bed.
    I think I have had bear or raccoon outside the tent just once or twice. I know when the usually-Fierce MinPin Mix, comes up to my face and shivers with fear in middle of the night. At Ocala Forest, I heard heavy breathing and it was either a very heavy breather raccoon, or bear. NO food EVER goes into my ground-tent, and so far, only rarely into the popup in non-bear country. Food stays locked in TV. My Pup is just a tent on wheels; no kitchen.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I crated both of my dogs. I have a couch that I put down in bed mode and put their crate there. Or just keep it on the dinnette table bed. I have a wire crate so can collapse it down if it gets in the way during the day and just store on the bed. I actually keep their crate in the camper so I won't forget it. My dogs slept better in the crate. Although they could be mostly trusted outside of it they felt secure in their crate.

Pommom70 likes this.
  7. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    My dogs are always crated, together, in the car while driving. They do all right but Cocka-poo gets some anxiety in the car. No idea why. You never know with a rescue. There are some reasonably good drugs for that from the Vet.

8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    I don't crate my dogs.

I had a rescue akita who was very good about going in his crate every night. Even if I left the door open, he would not move from that crate unless I called him. One day, I took the top half off. That night he climbed in like usual. About 30 minutes later, he realized that he wasn't being confined and came out to sleep on the floor. After that, even if the crate was put together, he only went in when I specifically told him to do so. That leads me to believe that he didn't like being in it - he just never had the choice not to be in.

Another rescue dog would go into her crate and snap at and attack anyone who came near. The prior foster home encouraged that by letting her run into the crate and attack them to avoid going outside for potty time. She did it once to me and I removed the crate. Then I had to close every closet, block every opening under tables, etc., and remove every box - because she would try to hid in/under them and attack. Once she no longer had that attack burrow, she learned how to trust and stopped fearing being approached by people. At that point, she stopped hiding in and under things and attacking. And she learned that going outside was not a punishment (although if you didn't let her in within 30 seconds of the first and only bark, she would climb the fence and run away from home).

I did foster a 6 month old black lab and the crate was the only way I could sleep. She was up and going with every movement and noise all night long. I had to cover the crate with a blanket so she wouldn't see any movement. She had so much energy that I couldn't exercise her enough to wear her out. She was adopted by a couple who both had families with hunting dogs, so she had a large reservoir of people to work her and wear her energy down. After a couple months, she no longer needed the covered crate to sleep.

I've also experienced too many rescues who were crated rather than trained. The crate became the solution - if people were coming over, crate the dog because it was easier than training them to behave and so on.

So, my dogs will go in a crate and be confined without issue, but I don't make it a daily routine.

9. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    I only crate the dogs in the car. It's a safety thing for dog and driver. Not a "training" thing or where they sleep.
    They are not crated in the house except in rare instances.