Where does your dog ride?

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Spawndn72, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Spawndn72

Spawndn72 Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Anyone use a kennel in the back of the truck for their dog? I know hunters use them all the time but it just makes me nervous having her back there in the summer heat. Our new lab puppy is outgrowing the inside of the truck. There is just not room for her plus the four of us so we need to figure something out.

2. BirdsNest

BirdsNest Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Utah
    Our dogs are small so they just ride in the seats/laps inside the vehicle. My nephew has two large hunting dogs and he set up a "mobile dog house" in the back of his truck. It's essentially a big wire kennel, but with a roof and removable covered sides added to block out the direct sunlight while traveling. He also rigged up a vent using a clothes dryer vent hose stuck between the back windows of the cab to push air from the air conditioning into the kennel to help cool the dogs down a little bit. I don't know how much it actually helps, but the dogs don't seem to mind riding back there so I guess it works.

3. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Member

Jul 17, 2016
    Webster, NY
    My first truck was a Ranger, we put a high-rise bed cap on it and built a shelf that went over the wheel wells, put some carpeting on it for them to lie on. That truck also had a sliding rear window and we got an inflatable gasket that went between the truck and the cap so we could provide a bit of heat or A/C to them as well as talk to them if need be.

After that we went to a 4-door F150 and the dogs got the back seat, but once we had 2 kids and 2 dogs we went full size van (E350). Recently downsized to mini-van and pop-up and the dogs get the back of the van, kids get middle row and all luggage goes in an roof top cargo carrier and in the camper.

If we end up upgrading to a TT and needing a bigger TV we will be looking at the Yukon or Expedition.

Have also seen people with dog crates in the truck beds, would never do that to our dogs...heat, cold, rain, etc.

4. Dingit

Dingit Member

Mar 8, 2017
    My dog isn't lab big--80 lbs--so he rides in the truck where the 2 kids are (crewcab F350). He gets the floor in the middle as he's only allowed on outdoor furniture (yes, he has a camp chair). Sometimes he stretches out and is a foot stool. We have procedures for getting him in and out without anyone being trampled. :) He's low enough that in an accident he's unlikely to be launched unless we roll.

If you're going to do the kennel in the back, start out while he's young and on short drives around town to get him used to it. I bet he'll learn to love it as long as the weather is nice. Some of those travel kennels are quite comfy. (I wouldn't just use a plain old regular kennel without a lot of modifications.)

5. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    I wonder....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

upstate family likes this.
  6. xvz12

xvz12 Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    Our dog is a 50+ lb border collie/aussie shepherd cross, & she thinks she's a furry person. She sits on the center console between me & my wife, & cannot be convinced to ride elsewhere. We have a extended cab Ranger /w 4 doors, the back seat area is usually wide open, but she insists on sitting up front with us....lol

7. SidecarMike

SidecarMike Active Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Tucker has his own private coach. Complete with solar fan
    Image0041.jpg

8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    We have 4 Chihuahuas, 3 ride in the back seat of the PU and one rides on her folded blankey on the console between the two front seats (she is the little queen) I would never let them ride in the bed of the PU, However my squirrel dogs do ride in a kennel in the bed.

9. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Columbiaville, Michigan
    Some states now require that a dog or cat riding in a vehicle be restrained. I found that out for the first time when we had a very minor accident with a motorcycle/sidecar rig in AR. The first thing the officer asked "Was the dog restrained?" luckily she was wearing a harness and short leash.

10. mydogteaser

mydogteaser New Member

Apr 30, 2016
    We have a 100 pound Lab mix we take camping. When we take two vehicles, he rides in the third row bench of my van. He's too big to get comfortable in the passenger seat. When we take one vehicle (DH's Suburban) he rides in the third row as well. He gets 2/3 of the seat with duffels stacked next to him or one of the kids with the duffels and a kid in the second row. I would never put a dog in the bed of a truck, crated or not. Besides the weather, I would be concerned about what would happen to him in an accident.

11. upstate family

upstate family Member

Jul 20, 2016
    Central New York
    Our dogs ride in the TV with us. Last trip I had one on my lap and the other prefers to sit on the floor. I understand the dog it big but I wouldn't be comfortable with putting him/her in the truck bed unless it had a cap. As others said the weather or an accident is a concern.

12. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Ours ride on the floor and in the back of whatever SUV we are taking. That's where they are trained to go and stay.

13. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    Is this new for AR? Last I read they didn't require dogs to be restrained. The officer might just have been curious. I know there are more and more states where it is becoming illegal to have dogs on the driver's lap

But I'm all for restraining dogs, since in a serious collision they become missiles and sometimes the passenger's or driver's head is between that missile and the windshield.

Mine are not only restrained to the seat buckle in a harness but I also have a hammock style back seat cover to keep them from falling into the well between the front of the rear seat and back of the front seats, for those sudden stops.

Lloyd B likes this.
  14. Spawndn72

Spawndn72 Member

Jul 29, 2016
    Thanks for the answers. Our dog is probably going to be riding in the back. But it will be in a crash tested kennel that is designed for truck use. Probably a Gunner G1 kennel.

15. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

Mar 27, 2015
    Michigan
    He's a135 lbs has big teeth and sometimes a bad attitude. So he rides just about anywhere he has a hankerin. window preferred.

16. Alan

Alan Active Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Reno, NV
    We have a large Sheltie and he rides on my wife's lap, most of the time, when we're in the truck headed for camping. Our F150 has the fold up center console so he can ride in front with us. If the back seat is clear he rides back there.

17. Alan

Alan Active Member

Mar 18, 2017
    Reno, NV
    Best answer yet! Here in Nevada there are no laws, regarding pet passengers, other than leaving kids and pets unattended during periods of extreme heat or cold. It is the wise one that retsrains them in or out of the vehicle, for the safety of the dog and the passengers.

18. Ruby Jean

Ruby Jean New Member

May 30, 2017
    Bellingham, WA
    Two in the back seat (with seat belts) and one crated in the cargo area as far away from human ears as possible! back seat boys.jpg

19. Lug_Nut

Lug_Nut New Member

May 29, 2016
    Mt. Wachusett area, MA
    An important point: Will your dog be "protecting" you from first aid responders and preventing immediate care being provided to you?
    Not only does a secured crate protect the dog in a crash, but it also permits aid to be provided to you without a frightened and traumatized Bowser / Rover interfering.

20. uno676

uno676 Member

Oct 30, 2014
    Colorado
    I think he'll be fine in the back as long as he gets plenty of air. Just make sure his crate is secured down. Stop for breaks to let him stretch legs and do his business.