Whiteswan Lake Provincial Park, B.C.

Discussion in 'British Columbia' started by Haviland, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Haviland

Haviland Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Preface: We camped there in the summer of 2013, I'm only now getting to writing a review. [:)O]

Checkout the link here for all the technical details about the park http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/whtswan/

We were aimlessly looking for campgrounds and stumbled upon this gem. If you are OK with unserviced, and rustic this is a big two thumbs up. It is a lengthy drive due to the mountain roads, and if you are leery of really high mountain roads with no barriers... then don't go here. [LOL]

SPOT: Our spot was at the Alces Lake campground. We checked out all the campgrounds in the immediate area and thought that this one was one of the best. Some of the others might not be suitable for those with small children (open rushing water nearby). Alces Lake campground did not have any rushing mountain rivers, so it was pretty perfect for us and our 3 boys (7,3 and almost 1 at the time). The spots are fairly private and well approximated from one another. We were in a spot that was almost a double, but there was still a small row of brush inbetween that did offer some privacy. Other spots were more private, but didn't have the amazing view.

PROS: Gorgeous area!
    Quiet, good privacy.
    Very close to Lussier Hot Springs http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lussier_Hot_Springs which was probably the best Hot Springs I've ever been to. The kids loved it too.
    Mountain views, lakes, pebble beaches.
    Firewood available for purchase by park staff who came by daily
    Small rock beach a short distance from the campsites, cold water ;)
    Walking paths from the campground around the lake, very nice, can see some remains of old cabin hearths. Some deer and rabbits to be seen. [:D]

CONS: Not close to any services at all (which can be the price for rustic areas).
    Pit toilets (meh, they weren't bad. Someone put a car freshner in them and they were actually pretty decent) no showers.

All in all this was our favorite stop in B.C. this time around. Hoping to get back there and see some more. It was simply gorgeous, and if you're looking for a very laidback and quiet place this campground is awesome. Lussier hot springs is a MUST DO, its a short drive from the campground (really the only thing close by).

View of our spot,
    [​IMG]
    web (1 of 4) by Shealaine, on Flickr

View FROM the picnic table, one of the best spots I think! It's a bit hard to see, but I was too lazy to edit the image. The lake is just infront of the mountain and you could see that as well from the spot, the bit of bush there is just blocking the view.
    [​IMG]
    web (2 of 4) by Shealaine, on Flickr

rocky beach and lake near the campground the water was cold, but not glacier water cold. The kids liked it, and the grown ups went into it a couple times.
    [​IMG]
    web (4 of 4) by Shealaine, on Flickr

2. Haviland

Haviland Member

Jan 7, 2013
    I forgot to add this picture of the mountain road going up to the campgrounds. It's a logging road, where you have to yeild to traffic. So basically one lane, very high up. It made me super nervous, but my husband was driving and said it was fine. I disagree, but the campground was well worth it (for being secluded and quiet)

[​IMG]
    web (124 of 157) by Shealaine, on Flickr

There were some larger trailers up there, but no bohemoth motorhomes or the much larger fifth wheel and TT. Its a long drop down. [;)]

3. fasteddy

fasteddy New Member

Mar 11, 2011
    The rise in elevation from where you leave the highway is about 1000 feet, the driving distance is 16 to 17 miles. This is a mountainous active logging road so caution is needed. Once a truck spots you on the road the driver notifies all other drivers of your presence via 2-way radio. They watch for you and it is a narrow road with pull offs. The logging trucks have priority but they do pull over and let you by if they get to a pull out near where you were reported to be. We have a great bunch of truckers here so give them a thank you wave as they go by. Please have a great visit and then go north and enjoy the rest of highway 93/95 right through Kootenay National Park and stop for a dip in Lake Windermere or Radium Hot Springs.

4. Haviland

Haviland Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Yep! We were lucky in that we never encountered any oncoming traffic either way. Its definitely an eye opening road, coming from the flat flat province of Sask.