Who else is using a Canyon/Colorado TV?

Discussion in 'Going to the DARK SIDE' started by emoney, Aug 10, 2018.

1. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Ok “dark siders”, time to come clean. DW and I bought the pup for a couple of reasons, one being we have our eyes on going dark. Wife is digging camping more than she thought so that could happen within the next year as opposed to a few years down the road. Main reason is we plan to do quite a bit long distance traveling and figure the TT will be a lot better for overnights; those pull in at midnight, sleep 6 hours and hit the road again. Early summer we bought a new 2018 Canyon with the tow package and she’s rated up to 7700 lbs. I drive a lot for work so it made more sense.

Having said all of that, we don’t even notice the pup is behind us but I’m wondering how much impact the height of a TT has on a smaller sized truck? I’m thinking we will end up in something that is walk-around queen bed, no rear bunk layout, but the DW is really hoping for both the dinette and a sofa. I know we can go the Murphy bed route if we need to, but I’m still pondering the tow aspect because living in Florida means we have to cross the Smokey/Appalachian mountains to get anywhere basically. How much does the wind resistance really affect especially when going up a real grade? And yes, we will use a sway bar/trailer brakes/etc.

2. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    With mine I don't notice any wind resistance. With a 4:10 gear and 330 plus HP you won't notice it.
    GM can say what they want to... but the V6 in these trucks does not compare to the 5.3

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    emoney likes this.
  3. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    Thanks for that, Joet. What size/type are you pulling?

4. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    I will avoid any bias that you get here by telling you to Google Ike Gauntlet towing challenge for your Canyon.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We originally towed our 17' Retro (round figures 3500#) with the 4Runner, which was stressed under some conditions. Long uphill climbs and, given the side and frontal area of the TT, windy conditions. We bought a '15 Colorado (used, from the dealer, jut over a year in service). It did tow the Retro much better, IIRC the tow limit was 7000#. I towed across the country with it, and it was less stressful than it had been using the 4Runner. That Colorado had major issues though, spending much of the time in the shop. After a year and a half, when the main oil usage issue returned once again, the dealer offered us a very fair deal on a new truck. We were going to buy another Colorado, but they had no long bed ones in stock, so we up-sized a bit more, to a '17 Silverado 1500. It's my daily driver, and it tows the Retro even better than the Colorado did. It is quieter in the cab than the Colorado, which isn't a towing issue, but contributes to fatigue on long driving days.
    We had noticed motion transfer from the trailer to the front seat in the 4Runner under some conditions. It was less in the Colorado, and less again in the Silverado.

6. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    I drive a 2016 for work and there is no comparison. The 16 is more refined than mine. Interior is a lot nicer . I do like the 6 speed tranny. Mine has much more HP, its fun to drive. I have had it sideways more than once. The 16 won't do that.
    I am pulling a StarCraft AR-1 Extreme

7. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Syracuse, NY
    I cannot comment about a Colorado/Canyon, but I went from a pup to an HTT last year and the wind resistance was significant.

8. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    I think it's really going to depend on the trailer... I recently switched to a tt and notice a ton of wind drag (this is with plenty of truck, pulling just over 1/2 the rated tow capacity)....