Who has camped at Walmart?

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by TheBlurb, Jun 12, 2019.

1. TheBlurb

TheBlurb New Member

Walmart parking lots have long been a place of refuge for RVers seeking a place to overnight. From what I read, some Walmarts are no longer allowing overnight camping, but I know the one near me (in Canada, near Vancouver, BC) still does.

So has anyone ever set up their pup in a Walmart parking lot? I've seen plenty of motorhomes, but no pop-ups. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to try. :)

2. Sacramento Pop Up

Sacramento Pop Up Member

I’ll take a hotel and a hard pass on that one. Haha.

Milemaker13 likes this.
  3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I don't shop there - sure as hell ain't gonna sleep there!

4. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

When I had my pop up, that was a hard no. Wouldn't trust a walmart lot while only protected by canvas. Now that we went dark, I would consider it, but only as a last resort (too tired to continue, no cg available nearby, no highway rest area....).

TheBlurb, Milemaker13 and PopUpSteve like this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

From what I read for the Walmart here you are not allowed to “set up” no slideouts out, no lawn chairs, etc. it’s designed to pull in sleep and pull out the next morning no unhitching. Besides, My Walmart is lit up so bright you might as well call it day light. No way you can sleep. Not to mention we have a number of homeless that hang out in the Walmart parking lot. I wouldn’t trust staying overnight there especially in something with flimsy locks.

Rusty2192, TheBlurb and Milemaker13 like this.
  6. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

no thx

7. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I would not stay at a Walmart but see nothing wrong with doing so as long as you follow the rules.

One of the reasons that a lot of Walmarts are not allowing overnighting any more is because of the few people that ruin it for the majority of those that are respectful of the rules. The rules are simple:

Ask permission, stay one night, don't use slide-outs (this eliminates popups), be quiet, say thank you by shopping at the store.

The folks that aren't following these simple rules are ruining it for the rest.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Short of an absolute emergency, I would not stay in a parking lot in the TT, let alone the popup. As already mentioned, putting out slides and the like is not allowed, so that eliminates popups, including A-frames. One top of that, I would not sleep, both for worry about security and the noise level of vehicles coming and going. For one thing, not knowing the type of neighborhood would be iffy - while technically not allowed in the city, I've seen complaints about being hassled by the street people when people stopped at WM here - knowing the locations, I was not surprised.
    [One of the times our friends went to the huge EAA event in Oshkosh, some of the stores in town opened the parking lots for RVs when the fields usually used were sodden after a long wet season; that would be a different type of stay.]

TheBlurb likes this.
  9. Milemaker13

Milemaker13 Active Member

I could see using the parking lot in a TT or motorhome for a quick pull off but heck no not in a pup!

10. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Camping at Walmart is not allowed at all at any Walmart.

Sleeping in the lot for a night (aka overnighting) is allowed at some Walmarts but not all.

Slides are not "not allowed". It's simply that you want to do the least amount of setup possible to reduce the appearance of camping. If you need to pull out a slide, raise a roof, or extend a tent bed to sleep, then you can do so. Just try to position your camper so the extended part does not get in the way of others (e.g., extend over a berm or curbed grassy area). Do not unload any gear into the parking lot.

With all that, like Neighbor Mike, I do not shop at Walmart - therefore I won't overnight there. However, I do intend to overnight at a Flying J station on ths way to Death Valley this winter. It's a long drive and I'd rather split it into two days and arrive at the campground during daylight and not late at night.

TheBlurb likes this.