Why am I having such a hard time finding 175/80r13 D?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Spridle, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Spridle

Spridle Member

Jun 6, 2011
    I feel like I must be missing something. The only tire I'm finding in this size in D is from Etrailer, which is a Kenda tire for $78. But even if I drop to C it seems they are tough to get? I do like the D range for the extra margin and for less bounce once it's set up.

This is a late 90s Coleman that came with C. I bought a pair of aluminum rims with D range radials from someone on here and have had those on the camper for four years or so. Didn't look at the date code recently but I think they were a year or two old when they went on.

We are traveling. One of the tires popped a bubble so big I actually saw it in the side view mirror. The spare is on it now, which I suspect is original to the camper, although it looks to be in great shape with no dry rot between the tread even. Currently in Williamsburg area with family, heading to OBX on Monday.

Called a couple of the RV stores and they had nothing, even in C. "I can't even order that tire from my distributor".

The way I see it I have three options.

1. Roll with it and hope for the best. Probably 700 towing miles before we get home.
    2. Have etrailer ship out a pair to Williamsburg and grab them on the way home from OBX.
    3. Have etrailer ship them to someone in OBX and do a bunch of trips swapping stuff around with the camper set up.

I'm leaning toward option 1. I suspect this is the last time the camper will roll until next spring. But I will also probably spend the entire time worrying about it!

Opinions welcome & what the heck do other people do?

2. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

Apr 24, 2011
    Ocala,FL
    Got mine from Northern Tool.. Just sayin

3. BirdsNest

BirdsNest Active Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Utah
    Have you checked with actual tire shops? Smaller shops might only have standard "car" sizes in stock, but bigger places tend to stockpile lots of tires and might have what you need.

4. frolin

frolin Member

May 13, 2013
    Order from Etrailer on the rim? I assume the have it,,, as I have gotten a couple sizes from them that way. then it just swapping the spare. you could have them sent somewhere to pick up on your trip? or as you said,, 700 miles is not much then fix at home in the same way.

5. xvz12

xvz12 Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
  6. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I bought my last tires from northern tool as well. Cheap and easy and already mounted.

7. Spridle

Spridle Member

Jun 6, 2011
    Yes I see now that if I just search 13" at Northern Tool or Tractor Supply (which is two miles from where I'm sitting) that they are readily available in C and mounted to a standard steel rim.

I want D and I've got nice Aluminum rims that I'd like to keep. I think for that, etrailer is really the best option. I'm going to roll the dice and hope we make it home. If things go south, as long as by going south the trailer doesn't get destroyed, I know I can get a tire locally from one of these places that will get us home. In the spring I'll order 3 matching tires.

Thanks for all the replies!

8. Spridle

Spridle Member

Jun 6, 2011
    We didn't make it. Within about 20 miles of where we pulled the bubbled tire off, but now on the return trip. Kablamo. A lot of wasted time on the side of the road trying to decide the best course of action. Finally put the bubbled tire back on, lowering the pressure way down and keeping the speed way down, we made it the 185 miles home. When I got home, the bubble was basically gone. I'm not sure what happened here. Some calls will be made. The tires weren't new and aren't treated great, sitting for long periods of time. But I suspect it was just a combination of the high ambient heat and running max PSI for several hundred miles at a clip pushed them beyond the limit.

Attached Files:

9. neighbormike

neighbormike Active Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Wow, that is quite the bulge! Definitely time for replacement!

10. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    I went to a local tire shop and they got them for me the next day, Carlisle ST 175/80 13 load range D, $75 each mounted and balanced new valve stems. Discount Tire was $15 more bucks per tire and would take 2 days to get them.

11. neighbormike

neighbormike Active Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    The Carlisle's seem to be pretty good... have also installed quite a few TowMax tires that seem to perform well....