Why is it....

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by Daisy on my toe, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Daisy on my toe

Daisy on my toe Member

Jun 21, 2017
    Chicago area
    This might be a dumb question -but why is it that TT and PUPs have their axles in the middle of the trailer, even very large ones with two sets of wheels? Semi trailers have their wheels more to the back.

2. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Member

Aug 1, 2014
    The farther back the fulcrum, the higher the tongue weight. Trailers towed by light duty vehicles need to be "balanced" to keep the tongue weight reasonable - 10- 15 percent of the trailer weight.

Daisy on my toe likes this.
  3. Daisy on my toe

Daisy on my toe Member

Jun 21, 2017
    Chicago area
    Thanks!

4. davekkk

davekkk Member

Oct 7, 2013
    I wish the wheels were back further on my little pup, its so light and hard to get enough tongue weight which makes it sway a bit. I feel like the manufactures at least in the 80's focused so much on low tongue weight for small cars pulling them, they didn't really care how the camper handled.

5. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Member

Aug 9, 2011
    North Dakota
    One other thought about big trucks is the weight they carry, the square inch of tire contact on the road and the weight restrictions on highways within a wet vehicle length

6. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    The position of the trailer axels also determines the way the trailer turns. When a tight back up turn is likely the wheels are better to be more forward allowing the back to pivot over the axel. On straight trips with little or no backing the wheels placed near the back give a more stable ride. The rearward wheel placement was call "West coast wheels" by the old-time drivers.

crackerJack likes this.
  7. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    My question is why many 2 and 3 axle TT have like 2 feet of clearance under them, they look so top heavy. While most pop ups have much less clearance and you can't see most of the axle....

8. Fbird

Fbird Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    A longer trailer is more likely to bottom out on inclines, so they need more ground clearance

9. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Aug 22, 2013
    San Diego via MN
    That's why buses and motor homes have a higher rear bumper, and some even have a set of wheels exactly for that.