Wild Monkeys at Silver Springs State Park, Ocala FL

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by equest, Jul 14, 2017.

1. equest

equest New Member

Dec 22, 2016
    Florida
  2. NothingsChocking

NothingsChocking Active Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Texas
    Being that these monkeys are not native, you would figure they would at least reduce the population.

3. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

May 15, 2014
    Sarasota, FL
    This is actually part of a much bigger problem.

Here in Florida, we seem to have more than our share of invasive species (pythons, lionfish, monitors, various birds, and so on), and they all seem to be doing just fine in the warm weather.
    The rhesus macaques are only the latest in a long list of animals that arrived as pets and escaped or were just dumped into the environment. They found themselves in a
    nice warm jungle-y environment, with ample food, and a native population of humans who were only too ready to feed them and encourage them...

The only practical way to "reduce the population" would be to shoot them, and that would probably involve closing the parks for safety.. and fending off the the protests.

Once a year, they declare open season on non-indigenous pythons in the Everglades, and it's not helping... like the macaques, they've found a perfect environment, and they're breeding faster than they can be culled.

It's very rare that introducing a new species makes a positive change to an ecology.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  4. NothingsChocking

NothingsChocking Active Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Texas
    Well, all the but-hurt protesting aside, now would be the time to atleast take care of one of the problem species. Something needs to be done while the population is concentrated still. these are mammals, there is a chance to root all these out. Not so much with pythons or Snakehead fish and so on.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I lived in Ocala (Marion County) for many years, I canoed, Kayaked , fished and swam in the Ocklawaha River, the monkey's are and has been a big problem for a long long time, (story was they escaped during the Tarzan Movies). At one time they were going to sterilize the monkey's but due to the protests they decided to leave it alone and the population has continued to rise, once again the politicians have listened to the few instead of the professionals who know how bad the problem can be. (and now is)
    These monkeys are nothing to mess with as they will attack , throw items at you and destroy a campsite. I do not know how they can solve the problem that should never have gotten so large.

6. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

Apr 24, 2011
    Ocala,FL
    Heres the deal, The part you did not see is when the boy got to close to the babies. He harassed them. Of course the monkeys are going to make noises.. Plus the kid was laughing about it. There are signage about not messing with wild animals.. You think the kid would lean over and pick up a baby gator? They are all over the place too....I also live in Ocala and have kayaked the river many times.. We have thrown bread and crackers to the monkeys and no problems have never been so called attacked.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  7. nhlakes

nhlakes Active Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    I now want to go to Silver Springs State Park, Ocala, FL. ;)

Might have have to add it to our Jan trip south. I spent a month in India and enjoyed seeing the wild monkeys, but heard they caused problems in the cities there as well. If they start to cause real problems in FL, I'm sure they could get rid of them. But I'd personally like to see them hang out if they're not causing too much of a ruckus.

I like monkeys. ;)

Edit: Done. Will be there Jan 14. ;)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I didn't even know we had wild monkeys in the US. All the more reason to make a trip down there. It's a shame they are becoming aggressive, but I do believe a lot of that has to do with people being stupid.

9. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

Apr 24, 2011
    Ocala,FL
    Yes the kid was being stupid and his parents let him. If you camp in the park there is a 1/2 mile trail that you can trail your kayak or you can rent one. The monkeys are really cool, they will come to the waters edge and wait for you to throw bread crackers or BANANAS!! Bring crackers to the river and feed the thousands of fish that will swarm around your kayak.. The Gar fish are back now too. The monkeys have not got into the campground, They stay on the north side of the river..

10. WeRJuliIan

May 15, 2014
    Sarasota, FL
    (Duplicate posting removed)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    NothingsChocking likes this.
  11. WeRJuliIan

May 15, 2014
    Sarasota, FL
    There's a reason they tell you not to feed wild animals of any kind. They come to associate humans with easy food, That draws them to where they get fed for free.
    Then, one day, there's no free bananas and they get mad at the people who aren't handing over the goodies.
    That's when it ends in tears...

I grew up in the UK's New Forest, an area famous for its free-roaming ponies... every year, people were bitten or hurt, and ponies killed by vehicles, because they have learned that cars mean free food,

(I'm sorry, I didn't mean to post that twice...)

Steve Farley likes this.
  12. Steve Farley

Steve Farley New Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Non-native species, both flora and fauna should be eradicated. In Mesa Verde NP, horses have escaped from the reservation and are displacing the native big horn sheep. The horses are territorial and won't let the sheep at the waterholes. The NPS wants to eradicate the horses so the native sheep will come back.