Wildlife/Tree Reference Book

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by hayesse, Jul 1, 2019.

1. hayesse

hayesse New Member

Hey Everyone... This is officially my first post here at PUP!

I am in the hunt for a decent field reference book for trees/plants and birds. I have young children and would like to get them interested in identifying the plants and animals around us. So something simple enough for your children to understand, and small enough to stash somewhere in our small popup.

Thanks in advance!

Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Good idea, intrested also.

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

hayesse and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. JWeible

JWeible Active Member

5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Where are you located?

I have used different field guide versions of my local birds for years. I am in Minnesota, so I use the "Birds of Minnesota Field Guide". If you are staying mostly local, search Amazon for "Birds of Your State Field Guide". Or look for "Birds of North America" for a more general book.

Whichever bird book you choose, make sure that it has lots of reference pictures that have pictures male, female and young. Many times, young birds don't look like the adults, and the females can look drastically different from the males. For example, the Red Winged Blackbird genders don't look anything like each other.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Way,way back when I was really young I always carried my dads bird book around I couldn’t read it at the time, but loved the pictures. The problem, this book was essentially an encyclopedia but just on birds. Great book if you can read and understand encyclopedia jargon. Dad showed me how to use it and as I got older to read it myself I loved that book even more. It was perfect for small hands as it was designed to be put in the backpack pocket but not really kid friendly. The guide actually came as a set, flowers, trees, birds, and something else . All was written in encyclopedia jargon, but I was more fascinated with the birds so that was the only book that got used. Sadly I can’t remember what it was called but came in a boxed set and each book was a different color. I have such good memories with that book and learned so much about the birds, habitat, food and everything else. Not quite what you are looking for, but wanted to say, “way to go”. Great way to get your kids interested.

hayesse likes this.
  7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

You might check with your state wildlife commission.

The rangers at our favorite state park carry whole collection of pocket-sized books in their trucks. Several times when ive been walking with the grandkids and looking at plants, bugs, etc. They've stopped and shared those books with us.

Im pretty sure we can buy them at the park office or through the wildlife commission Website.

hayesse, Blackripley and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. Blackripley

Blackripley Member

hayesse likes this.
  9. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

hayesse likes this.
  10. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Check your local DNR (Department of Natural Resources) office. They usually have handouts for the area.

hayesse likes this.
  11. hayesse

hayesse New Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Very helpful. I will check in with my state's DNR. (Wisconsin)

PointyCamper likes this.