Winch wiring question

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Swp, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Swp

Swp New Member

Winch wiring
    Just wondering if anyone has an idea what the thick black and red wires that attach from the winch and the battery are called? We had the battery stolen on our brand new Forest River 228BHSE and need to replace them because they were cut. These wires attach on the winch and the battery and are used to raise/lower the pop up. I need to look for a replacement part and I've already talked to the manufacturer who sent me the wrong part so I need to know the name (they also dont know...) Also if anyone has a picture of the battery I would love to see what it looked like before they stole it. Thanks!

2. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Go to the dealer where you bought it and ask to look at one like yours. It should have the same wiring, then talk to the service department.

Better luck than me they stole my whole travel trailer. Cops found it almost two years later in a chop shop trashed.

3. Swp

Swp New Member

Unfortunately the dealer is over 100 miles away and with the wiring cut there is no brakes or lights. There are also no dealers close to us that sell pop ups.

4. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Your battery looked just like the battery in your car, but it was a deep cycle battery, not a starting/cranking battery. Possibly a group 27, but more likely a group 24. (27 would be better). I would think that you could very easily make your own cables. The wiring was probably a #10 gauge, but you should still have some of the cut section still on the front of the trailer. There may be a legible number printed on the outside of that wire indicating its AWG size (thickness). If you can't read a number on the wire, cut an inch or 2 off that you could match up to a spool of wire to find the proper size, the thicker the better. Then you would go to your local auto parts store and buy some wire, a couple of battery post connectors and a fuse holder or circuit breaker that is rated at 30 amps. (if you went with fatter #8 wire, you could go up to a 50 amp fuse, it depends what your existing wire is). Start putting things together, it should be no problem at all. Follow the existing wires to see weather the black or the red went to the frame as a ground. Put the fuse holder in the positive wire right at the battery post, strip back the wire insulation and solder, shrink wrap and tape all your connections, and all should be good. All these procedures are on youtube, go check it out and have fun. Good luck, sorry about your bad luck.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    neighbormike likes this.
  5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

All the terminals I have ever saw were ring terminals. Available at any auto parts store. Size depends upon wire gauge

6. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

You're right about the ring terminals, but if he's starting from scratch, he could put on either type. Not all deep cycle batteries have threaded posts right beside the clamp on posts. Good point though.

7. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Damn!!

8. brwarrior

brwarrior Member

For DC systems typically red is positive and black is negative. My winch has #10 AWG wiring with a 30A breaker (Bussman ShortStop)http://www.cooperindustries.com/con...akers/series_12x_shortstopcircuitbreaker.html. There are a few different ways it could have been mounted. Mine has a small thin metal plate acting as a buss that connects to the battery post and then is connected to the input side of the breaker. The winch lead wire terminates in a ring terminal at the breaker. My guess is the winch system just has studs on it and the pup manufacturer provides all of the wiring.

For terminals (ring, hook, spades) and butt splices I prefer to by the "weather resistant" types that come with factory heat shrink on them. You'll need a heat gun (looks like a hair dryer) or a lighter (the long ones for starting the bbq). I use a Wagner Furno 300 ($25) and it did just fine when I did some heat shrink on 1/0 wire earlier. You can obtain an assortment that comes with different sizes and types.

Get dedicated strippers (like these https://smile.amazon.com/Southwire-...363&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=wire+stripper&psc=1) and crimpers (https://smile.amazon.com/Insulated-...28&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=klein+wire+crimper). The strippers aren't too bad at $10 (Klein's are nearly $20 for the same type) but good crimpers as you can see are a little spendy at $28. The combo stripper, crimper, and whatever are marginal at best. The strippers only go to 10 solid/12 stranded but will work. Just don't squeeze all the way then turn 90 degress and give another squeeze and it will come off just fine.