Wind, Where Do You Draw The Line??

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by PopUpSteve, Oct 19, 2018.

1. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Dec 22, 2002
    Malvern, PA
    I'm heading out again this weekend and as I usually do, I checked the local weather this morning. According to the Weather Gods, the winds from Saturday afternoon into Sunday morning will be from 11 to 13 mph. With the winds at that speed and for such a period of time, which will include during my take-down time, I've decided not to put out the awning.

Just wondering where others draw the line when it come to winds?

2. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

Jul 3, 2008
    Iowa
    We have had the awning flip up on the roof before. It does not take much wind to make me keep it rolled up. 11 to 13 mph? I wouldnt use it

3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    It depends on the campsite. Last time we were at Edisto Beach, the winds were strong on the beach. Our campsite was about 4 back and in some palms, where it was calm all weekend. The wind was lifted and stayed above the trees.

4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

11-13mph isn't that strong, at least here. We anchor down the awning and have had no issues.

5. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    My old pup has kept the awning up at 20mph off Lake Superior with rain and fun. I use two tie downs on outside posts, 1 single for the center...

DSCN2761.JPG
    Sure, it's fallen down a time or two, but never damaged it. But I don't have much vested in that old girl.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I've had stakes pull out one too many times that I no longer take the risk. Even my tarp awning collapsed and slingshotted the poles over my camper once. I'm dang lucky it didn't impale something/someone. A risk of high wind that awning will be put down. It's not worth the risk.

J Starsky likes this.
  7. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    The last time I used my pup (September 21-23) we had similar winds all weekend.The winds were strong enough to blow around my Gizmos on the windy side of the pup. I had to clamp them down. I did not deploy the awning. Partly because of the wind, partly for the simplicity for when it was time to tear down. Plus, I liked the sun shining on the pup to warm it up on the cool mornings.

2018 Mankato 05.JPG

8. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

When I setup the Camo Awning I just add a few more lines if the winds start blowing over 30. Otherwise it will stand tall without issue.

9. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    We went thru 30-35 mph winds last weekend, the awning anchors I made out of flower pots filled with concrete performed admirably. If I'd known the wind was going to come up, I'd have rolled the awning up, but other than the ends flapping a bit, there was no issue.

20181012_191932.jpg

jnc likes this.