Winter boondocking in BC?

Discussion in 'British Columbia' started by dmitrym, Oct 11, 2014.

1. dmitrym

dmitrym New Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Hey friends,

Are there any places close to lower mainland that are not snow covered in january-march? I'd like to give winter camping a go in '15 maybe. I'd prefer not to camp at an RV site, forestry sites would be great. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Mar 3, 2005
    Have you considered Brae Island in Fort Langley? Go guarantees of not being snow covered but close to sea level.They have powered sites or you can try Derby Reach.

3. dmitrym

dmitrym New Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Thanks West Coast Canuck, I'll definitely check it out! Do you know of any areas that might be a little more secluded? I'm trying to get away from people :)

4. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Mar 3, 2005
    Try Chilliwack lake, not Cultus, should be fairly quiet for the time of year that you are going. However, there could be a likelyhood of snow. Golden Ears is a Provincial site that is open year round as well and will close if there is snow. Derby Reach should also be quiet at that time of the year as well.

5. tanyaewa

tanyaewa New Member

Jul 14, 2014
    Porteau Cove, Alice Lake,

6. NorthernLights

NorthernLights New Member

Jun 4, 2016
    It's not really boondocking, but the Gold Creek campground at Golden Ears Prov Park, is cheap in the winter ($11 a night) but is rustic camping as there are no services. You must bring your own water/wood in. The trails - even hiking the beach areas - are all open and worth the efforts as you can hike up to the falls. It is quite a beautiful area. I have yet to catch fish, but they are there in Alouette Lake.

Porteau Cove is nice - noted previously, and it puts you right on the Ocean. Plenty of great views, hikes around Shannon Falls, or the Chief, and sites to see such as the museum at Britannia Mine.

On the Chilliwack Forest Service Road, there are plenty of boondocking areas along the river before you get to the Prov parks at Chilliwack Lake.