Wiring on TV - Help!

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Derik, Sep 11, 2017.

1. Derik

Derik New Member

Jun 23, 2014
    So I've been playing around with the wiring on the TV all summer (on and off) and am at a loss.

When we took off recently for a week long trip, the Brakes/LT/Running Lights worked however the RT would not. I assumed it was corrosion from sitting over the winter on my TV as the dust cap had disappeared at some point.

While camping, I decided to simply cut & replace the 4Pin connector on the TV. Doing so resulted in a solid RT signal. (All results are based on the 4pin tester)

[​IMG]

As I need to relocate my trailer this weekend, I decided to go out and take another look. Upon first attempt, the Brakes/LT/Running lights worked with the exception of the RT. I decided to give the ground a cleanup and reattach to see if that was perhaps what was preventing the RT from working. Since doing so, I'm only getting a solid RT. I checked the RT green wire and didn't notice any physical damage to the wire and checked all connections to ensure nothing came lose.

Does the solid RT represent an overload?

2012 Dodge Grand Caravan using a Curt Wiring Harness (worked fine last season)

Hopefully this is everything needed but please feel free to let me know if more information is needed. Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  2. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

May 21, 2015
    Swap the bulbs, left to right and see what happens.

3. Derik

Derik New Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Sorry - Just to clarify, these are issues on the tester without even hooking it up to my PUP. TV lights and everything function as they should.

4. Fless

Fless Active Member

@Derik,

According to eTrailer's site (https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2012_Dodge_Grand+Caravan.htm) your Grand Caravan requires a converter for the trailer light connector. I would suspect 1) a bad ground on the converter; or 2) a poor connection to the input of the converter; or 3) a failing converter.

EDIT: your converter may require a full load (an actual bulb) in order to work properly, but I'm not all that well-acquainted with how they work with a low load.
    _

5. Yak

Yak Active Member

Apr 18, 2009
    I've seen converters go bad after a year

6. Derik

Derik New Member

Jun 23, 2014
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. This harness has been installed for ~3 years now so I guess that could definitely be the issue. As I checked all the standard wiring and it checks out, that should be it. I just wanted a second opinion before I look at buying another harness... Or a new TV.