Wiring up my 2007 Silverado classic for a brake controller

Discussion in 'Etrailer.com Trailers and Towing Forum' started by Jhdpheasant12, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Jhdpheasant12

Jhdpheasant12 New Member

Feb 3, 2017
    My truck came to me used and still has the factory brake controller wiring harness still in the glove box. It had a 40 amp fuse taped in the middle. Also has more than 4 wires coming from the plug end. My question is what is the fuse for? And also, what are the other two wires for?
    Thanks for the help
    Jhdpheasant12

2. Jhdpheasant12

Jhdpheasant12 New Member

Feb 3, 2017
    Thanks JPBar. That's exactly what I needed to know. Now to pick out a controller. I occasionally haul some heavy loads up to 6000 lbs remodeling my house. Would a proportional controller be better for these situations? I know I probably don't need a controller for the pop up but since it has brakes I'll use them. Any recommendations would be appreciated!
    Thanks again
    Jhdpheasant12

3. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
  4. rjniles

rjniles Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Georgetown SC
  5. Fless

Fless Active Member

^^^ X2 on the proportional.

I have the Tekonsha P3 and love it! And my neighbor and I co-own our Cheyenne and have different tow vehicles, and swap the controller back and forth. The P2 would be good, too, smoother than a time-delayed controller. We liked the additional features on the P3, and it wasn't all that much more money.

See http://www.completetrailers.com/choosing-the-right-brake-controller/ for a bit of info.

6. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    X3

7. dlaudens

dlaudens Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Kentucky
    I have the Prodigy P2 and love it.

FYI - I borrowed a friends '03 Yukon for a 2 week trip last year and was able to buy an adapter harness that had the prodigy connector on one end and the fuse block connector on the other......just in case you don't want to mess with the wire splicing shown in the eTrailer video that was linked. Plug and play...really easy.

8. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    X2 on the Prodigy P2. I installed it 2 years ago and am extremely happy with it!

9. ezakoske

ezakoske Member

Nov 30, 2014
    This is what I'd look for also. I bought my controller and the optional cable to plug it in to my '03 Tahoe.

10. etrailerJohn

etrailerJohn Member

Apr 19, 2016
    Wentzville, MO
    Proportional brake controllers are great to provide smoother braking while towing as well as to help ease the wear and tear on your vehicle's and trailer's brakes. For some more information on installing a brake controller in your 2007 Silverado Classic and the parts to get the job done, check out this article:

http://www.etrailer.com/expert-22.html

11. Jhdpheasant12

Jhdpheasant12 New Member

Feb 3, 2017
    Well,
    After getting my new camper home I noticed that my hitch had a big hole in the tube that runs under the bumper. So I ordered a new hitch from etrailer, along with a draw-tite proportional controller and a 12" lead to wire into factory pigtail. Also since my factory 7way plug mount was welded to the old hitch I bought a new plug and mount. Overall very fast free shipping. Had everything in about three days

12. Jhdpheasant12

Jhdpheasant12 New Member

Feb 3, 2017
    I'd also like to thank JPBar that video link was exactly what I needed to do the install on my truck. I did order the extra 12" plug in lead so I didn't have to cut the plug off the controller wires.

13. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    I love the Prodigy P2 brake controller. ease of use and gives me peace of mind.